A literacy-rich environment is one that gives children numerous opportunities to engage in emergent literacy experiences in a meaningful and authentic way. The following provides a list of literacy activities for children that can be incorporated into an emerging literacy environment.
Just Explore Letter Manipulative
- Letter beads
- Letter blocks
- Letter robots
- Letter popsicles
Build Letters, Words Or Names
- With gems
- With mini erasers
- With play dough
- With buttons
- With any small manipulative you have
- Cut into pieces to create name puzzles
Name Or Word Art
- Names stick collage with dot sticks
- Rainbow trace with markers or crayons
- Paint with Q tips
- Name dot it with dot markers or bingo markers
- Trace with dry-erase markers, crayons, chalk, pens, or any other writing tool
Build Names Or Word With Letter Manipulative
- With magnet letters
- With letters beads
- With letters word blocks or letter brick blocks
- With letter rocks
- With letter clothespins (clip to the card)
- With any letter manipulative you have
- Letter Stamps
- Paper letters
- Letter stickers
- Foam Letters
Writing Letters, Words Or Names
- Sand writing Trays
- Sensory bags
- Fun paper
- Dry Eraser Boards
- Dry Eraser Pockets
- With Letter Stamps
- With Letter Stamps In Kinetic Sand
Play Themed Literacy Games
- Letter games
- Rhyming games
- Syllable games
- Name games
- Sight word games
- Store-bought literacy games
- Store-bought literacy puzzles
- Blank books
- Make cards
- Make shopping lists
Invitations To Write
- Themed paper, word cards, writing tools (marked, coloured pencils etc.).
Creating A Literacy Rich Environment For Children - The following provides information on the Literacy Rich Environment, Characteristics Of A Literacy-rich Environment, Components Of A Literacy-rich Environment, Strategies and more!
Children's Learning Through Literacy - The following article provides information on how children through literacy.
Developing and Enhancing Literacy in Children - The following article provides information and strategies on how to develop and enhance literacy in children.
Preschool Indicators Of Literacy and Numeracy - The following article provides information on What Are The Indicators, the Importance of The Indicators, Learning Processes, Numeracy and Literacy Indicators and more.
Alphabet Printables - A variety of free alphabet printables that can be downloaded for children to use.
Phonics Printables - A variety of free phonics printables that can be downloaded for children to use.