When children apply paint to paper, glue things together, or pound a lump of clay, they experiment with colour, shape design and texture.
Children express their individual ideas and feelings with art materials such as paint, clay, markers, crayons, paste and collage materials. As they view their own creation and those of their friends, they learn to value and appreciate differences. For young children, the process of creating is what is most important, not what they actually create.
Benefits Of Art and Craft
Engaging in Art n Craft experiences benefits all aspects of children's development. Children, who cannot express what they feel and think and how they view their world in worlds, may be able to do so more readily through art. Listed below are some suggested learning objectives that support a child's overall development.
- Enables children to assert individuality (drawing a pumpkin that is different in colour and design).
- Assists children to express feelings (selecting bright colours for a painting to match a playful mood).
- Develops an understanding of cause and effect (observing what happens when blue paint is added to yellow).
- Creates the ability to label shapes and objects (painting a yellow circle and calling it a sun).
- Helps develop planning skills (determining which colour finger paint to assemble before starting work).
- Provides opportunities for children to learn directionality (painting a circle with one continuous brush stroke).
- Continues to develop fine motor skills.
The purpose of art experiences is to allow children to explore on their own, using materials in their own ways. This enables the children to learn that their own abilities are valued and children will begin to freely participate in the creation of art. Art is a great tool to use to promote children's learning.
Linking To The EYLF
- 1.3 – Children develop knowledgeable and confident self – identities.
- 2.2 – Children respond to diversity with respect.
- 3.1 – Children become strong in their social and emotional wellbeing.
- 4.1 – Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, co‐operation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity.
- 5.4 – Children begin to understand how symbols and pattern systems work.
To download the poster for free: Benefits Of Art and Craft