The National Quality Standard (NQS) sets a national benchmark for the quality of education and care services and includes seven quality areas that are important to outcomes for children.
In each quality area, there are two or three standards. These standards are high-level outcome statements. Under each standard are elements that describe the outcomes that contribute to the standard being achieved. Each standard and element is represented by concepts that support education and care services to navigate and reflect on the NQS.
Under each standard sit elements that describe the outcomes that contribute to the standard being achieved.
The following is a quick reference guide for educators that lists the standards and elements that apply to each quality area (as of 01 Feb 2018).
QA 1 - Educational Program and Practice
- 1.1 - The educational program enhances each child’s learning and development.
- 1.2 - Educators facilitate and extend each child’s learning and development.
- 1.3 - Educators and co-ordinators take a planned and reflective approach to implementing the program for each child.
QA 2 - Children's Health and Safety
- 2.1 - Each child’s health and physical activity is supported and promoted.
2.2 - Each child is protected.
QA 3 - Physical Environment
- 3.1 The design of the facilities is appropriate for the operation of a service.
- 3.2 Use The service environment is inclusive, promotes competence and supports exploration and play-based learning.
QA 4 - Staffing Arrangements
- 4.1 Staffing arrangements enhance children's learning and development.
- 4.2 Management, educators and staff are collaborative, respectful and ethical.
QA 5 - Relationships with Children
- 5.1 Respectful and equitable relationships are maintained with each child.
- 5.2 Each child is supported to build and maintain sensitive and responsive relationships.
QA 6 - Collaborative Partnerships with Families and Communities
- 6.1 - Respectful relationships with families are developed and maintained and families are supported in their parenting role.
- 6.2 - Collaborative partnerships enhance children’s inclusion, learning and wellbeing.
QA 7 - Governance and Leadership
- 7.1 - Governance supports the operation of a quality service.
7.2 - Effective leadership builds and promotes a positive organisational culture and professional learning community.
New Guide To The National Quality Standards