Bad centre experience

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
soccer123

Bad centre experience

Post by soccer123 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:49 pm

Hello All,

This month i am starting a new position at a new centre. I have been at my previous centre for many years and have enjoyed my time there up until this year.

At the start of the year the service had a change of management and thats when the work environment took a bad turn. I work as an assistant but was constantly asked to step up and take on more work, even more duties than the lead. As our room leaders finished up I had asked about taking the lead role as I was doing most of the duties of a lead educator but was called incompetent by my cm. My cm blamed me for the staff leaving from the service as well as continued to drag me down as a person but never had anything negative to say as a worker. In the classroom I am in we are constantly being understaffed as she hasn't yet replaced staff that have finished and we don't have enough casuals to fill gaps. Meanwhile she is still providing additional days and casual days to families knowing we don't have enough staff. When i confront my cm she tells me that it is my problem not hers and that i have to figure out staffing myself. It got to the point where my mental health went downhill because of the toxic work environment and i ultimately decided to resign. Since then the situation has intensified and I am now getting yelled at for pretty much anything and everything. My cm has blamed me for anything that happens in the room even if i am not in there, i am no longer allowed to post on the parent app without getting my posts approved, I have to provide proof of what i have done during programming time, ect. When i brought up my unhappiness, i was told to stop complaining and I am overreacting. As the room leader has finished, she expects me to step up and do all of her duties until i finish whilst still getting paid as an assistant and being micromanaged by my cm.

Am I overreacting?

I know that every centre is different and I will probably have a different experience at my next centre, but I just want to know if I am overreacting? What can I do differently to have a better experience at new centre?

Thank You!

Lorina

Re: Bad centre experience

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:46 am

It sounds like your cm is under an immense amount of pressure and using as a punching bag.

As more educators leave your centre, the stress and the pressure builds and unfortunately since you are still there you have to face the full grunt of it.

It's even more now since you decided to resign...

Completely unethical and absolutely a toxic environment to work in.

The sooner you get out the better it is.

You either deal with it.. it's extremely hard to be able to cope with all the **** and not react but the more you react to your cm's bullshit and get upset she wants that... because your resigning and she still is understaffed and can't fill ratio and is stuffed once you leave. Once she sees you don't react she will stop.

Or you argue and get upset and everyday will be worse and it's going to stay the same...

This is so high school! We are mature age woman and this is the crap we have to deal with...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:47 am

Oh and you're definitely not overreacting!

:geek:,
Lorina

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:23 pm

Hello!

I am really sorry to hard about such a toxic work environment. It is very clear that as there is scarcity of staff and many are leaving while you working almost alone that is why pressures are building on you.
It is very clear that your CM is stressed, understaffed and trying to use you as much as possible. And now you have also decided to resign all the grudges and overworking are imposed on you. It will be better as soon as you leave the centre because it has become a completely toxic environment to work.
Your decision is completely right according to me and for me you are not at all over reacting.

Thanks

Nandita

JoanEllis

Post by JoanEllis » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:04 am

soccer123 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:49 pm
Hello All,

This month i am starting a new position at a new centre. I have been at my previous centre for many years and have enjoyed my time there up until this year.

At the start of the year the service had a change of management and thats when the work environment took a bad turn. I work as an assistant but was constantly asked to step up and take on more work, even more duties than the lead. As our room leaders finished up I had asked about taking the lead role as I was doing most of the duties of a lead educator but was called incompetent by my cm. My cm blamed me for the staff leaving from the service as well as continued to drag me down as a person but never had anything negative to say as a worker. In the classroom I am in we are constantly being understaffed as she hasn't yet replaced staff that have finished and we don't have enough casuals to fill gaps. Meanwhile she is still providing additional days and casual days to families knowing we don't have enough staff. When i confront my cm she tells me that it is my problem not hers and that i have to figure out staffing myself. I'm still getting my master's, so I can't do even more at work. Such an experience is not what I want. I wrote about it in my final paper because when I was looking for inspiration, I managed to find more ideas and personal experience essay samples, so I decided to write about such things, with educational purposes. It got to the point where my mental health went downhill because of the toxic work environment and i ultimately decided to resign. Since then the situation has intensified and I am now getting yelled at for pretty much anything and everything. My cm has blamed me for anything that happens in the room even if i am not in there, i am no longer allowed to post on the parent app without getting my posts approved, I have to provide proof of what i have done during programming time, ect. When i brought up my unhappiness, i was told to stop complaining and I am overreacting. As the room leader has finished, she expects me to step up and do all of her duties until i finish whilst still getting paid as an assistant and being micromanaged by my cm.

Am I overreacting?

I know that every centre is different and I will probably have a different experience at my next centre, but I just want to know if I am overreacting? What can I do differently to have a better experience at new centre?

Thank You!
I'm very sorry that you had to experience something like this. It's for sure not normal, and you were for sure not overreacting. Such treatment is not right, and it's better to change the working place for sure and not suffer.
I had a similar experience, and now I'm grateful because I know that each environment is different, people are different, and if you face something like this, it won't change, so it's better to quit yourself.