Developing Curriculum for new centre

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JeniSea

Developing Curriculum for new centre

Post by JeniSea » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:58 pm

Hi all and Happy New Year!

I will be going on a journey this year as centre manager for a new centre about a couple months away from opening. I will be needing to develop the curriculum for the service from scratch and this will be a first for me doing this as a centre manager. I have a lot of experience working with existing curriculums and have a full understanding of the EYLF, NQS etc. Would love some advice on where to get started and moving forward as well. For those who have opened a new centre, I would love to hear of your own experiences in doing this. Its a very exciting and scary at the same time.

Thanks!

Jen

Lorina

Re: Developing Curriculum for new centre

Post by Lorina » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:25 am

You don't need to develop a "curriculum" as such... Using the children's interests, skills they're progressing towards or achieving, input from children themselves and families etc. you create experiences to form your curriculum. If you have any concepts that you would like to teach the children then you can add this to the program as intentional teaching.

The experiences added to the program need to have a purpose and linked back to a source of the original idea. So, for example, if kids showing an interest in spiders and you recorded that interest on the daily dairy, as a follow up you could add "web prints" which would be added onto the curriculum. So, the original source is the interest on the daily dairy etc.

Hope this makes sense!

Let me know if you have any questions.

:geek:,
Lorina