Upskilling with Undergraduate Certificate of Special and Inclusive Support

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
oceaneyes96

Upskilling with Undergraduate Certificate of Special and Inclusive Support

Post by oceaneyes96 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:32 pm

Hello,
I have a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care, from TAFE NSW. Recently I've started an online Undergraduate Certificate of Special and Inclusive Support at The University of Newcastle, online. I'm finding the course interesting. This post relates to my Childcare Career and Career Pathways. Is anyone else doing an Undergraduate Certificate like me?

The only thing is, The UON offers only a dual Undergraduate Degree of Early Childhood and Primary School Education. They don't offer a singular Bachelor of Early Childhood Teaching. So, after completion of the Certificate would I be able to go to a different university and use credit transfer towards a Bachelor of ECT?

Also I am on the spectrum, so I am finding online study a lot easier than face to face. Are there any other autistic Educators out there?
Maybe its a rarity .....as the autistic peers that studied Early Childhood with me, either unfortunately dropped out or failed their course.

Also, I'm sure I can use the Undergraduate Certificate to look for Assistant roles in Early Intervention, Allied Health Support or Child Life Therapy or other niches...if I don't want to study a Bachelor. Is this right haha?

I already have a firm understanding and lived experience of autism, disability, the NDIS and inclusion so hopefully I'll find a role which I'm well suited to. I'm working casually in Long Day Care, After School Care and In Home Care so I have current work experience, not just a theoretical base.

Looking forward to everyone else's replies! :)

Kind regards,
Suzanna

Valley20

Re: Upskilling with Undergraduate Certificate of Special and Inclusive Support

Post by Valley20 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:03 am

Hi Suzanna
I was researching undergraduate certificates and came across your post. I just wondered how you went with it, if you completed the course?

oceaneyes96

Re: Upskilling with Undergraduate Certificate of Special and Inclusive Support

Post by oceaneyes96 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm

Yes Valley20, I did the course last year. It was really good. It was at a Diploma level so it was not very hard. There are a lot of Undergraduate Certificates out there now, so if you're interested in upskilling then it might be what you're looking for. Thanks :)