Working Towards Diploma

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
BinnyJay

Working Towards Diploma

Post by BinnyJay » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi,

I am currently studying Bachelor Education (Early Childhood and Primary) and have completed 7 units. I completed a Certificate 3 Early Childhood Education and Care in April 2018 and work in NSW. I am wondering at what stage can i be counted as working towards diploma and what is the process I need to go through to be recognised as this if my centre agrees to class me as a Diploma what pay rate should I be on.

Thanks

Lorina

Re: Working Towards Diploma

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi!

You need to meet the following requirements:

Diploma level

You can be counted towards meeting the diploma level qualification requirements if you can satisfy all of the above and one of the following:

hold an approved certificate III level qualification OR
have completed the approved certificate III units* OR
have completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.
‘Actively working towards’ provisions may not apply where a state or territory specific regulation is in place, including for services educating and caring for school age children. If you have any questions about this, contact your regulatory authority.

Please note that all family day care coordinators in Australia are required to hold an approved diploma level education and care qualification and cannot be ‘actively working towards’ this qualification.

* approved certificate III units include the following 11 units of competency (or equivalent superseded units) from the Certificate III in early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113):

A person is actively working towards an approved diploma level qualification if they hold the following 11 units of competency (or equivalent superseded units) from the Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113)

CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
CHCECE002 Ensure the health and safety of children
CHCECE003 Provide care for children
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
CHCECE004 Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
CHCECE007 Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
CHCECE001 Develop cultural competence
CHCECE005 Provide care for babies and toddlers
CHCECE009 Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety

What position are you currently working at your centre?

:geek:,
Lorina

AmberP

Post by AmberP » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:49 pm

It seems to me that getting a diploma is the very beginning of this difficult path. You have to get a lot of documentation, then confirm your qualifications, constantly take courses, and learn new things. It's difficult but very interesting. Good luck!

janehyein@gmail.com

Post by janehyein@gmail.com » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi I got a bit similar question, I just would like to ask for clarification on what actively working towards diploma level means. I have attained my cert 3 aleady and hold the approved 11 units and have started my diploma studies recently, in this case can I be classified as actively working towards dipmola level in ACT?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:17 am

Yes, you can be classified as "working towards a Diploma" since you meet all the necessary requirements.

:geek:,
Lorina