Space Requirements For Children Within A Rooom

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Bec123

Space Requirements For Children Within A Rooom

Post by Bec123 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:25 pm

I have no idea how to start a new thread yet as I’m a new member, but I’m just curious to know if there is a reg on the amount of space each child needs in a room in QLD (e.g. how many square metres does each child need?).
The toddlers room (15months-2years) at my centre is very small, however admin are allowing 14 children to occupy that space with 3 educators.
Any advice?
Cheers :)

Lorina

Re: Space Requirements For Children Within A Rooom

Post by Lorina » Tue May 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi!

In the National Regulations, it states the following:

" The approved provider of an education and care service must ensure that, for each child being educated and cared for by the service, the education and care service premises has at least 3.25 square metres of unencumbered indoor space."

"The approved provider of an education and care service must ensure that, for each child being educated and cared for by the service, the education and care service premises has at least 7 square metres of unencumbered outdoor space".

Reference:
National Regulations

Hope this helps!

:geek:.
Lorina

laila94

Post by laila94 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 am

Hi there,

I have a question relating to this. My service is only built to have 25 preschool kids indoors, however they are using the loophole of having the verandah as indoor space, meaning we are having 36-42 on any given day. (if they are counting the verandah as indoors then that means we have less outdoor space, can we then use that to contest this?)
We live in the NT and during the wet season we have oppressive humidity and heat which is not a good environment for children. Children have been throwing tantrums wanting to be inside in the AC but it's just not possible because of the lack of space, they also get ushered outside at sleep time so sleepers can have some quiet meaning they stay outdoors in the worst time of day for about 2-3 hrs. There have been behaviour problems and accidents caused by this overcrowding, and also one of the core staff in the room is also the assistant director meaning she is often off the floor with no cover and just tells us to "under roof" for ratio. The staff in the room have already tried bringing this up to the management to no avail. We aren't sure where to go from here, but staff are burning out and children aren't engaging. Any ideas to help?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:46 pm

laila94 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 am
Hi there,

I have a question relating to this. My service is only built to have 25 preschool kids indoors, however they are using the loophole of having the verandah as indoor space, meaning we are having 36-42 on any given day. (if they are counting the verandah as indoors then that means we have less outdoor space, can we then use that to contest this?)
We live in the NT and during the wet season we have oppressive humidity and heat which is not a good environment for children. Children have been throwing tantrums wanting to be inside in the AC but it's just not possible because of the lack of space, they also get ushered outside at sleep time so sleepers can have some quiet meaning they stay outdoors in the worst time of day for about 2-3 hrs. There have been behaviour problems and accidents caused by this overcrowding, and also one of the core staff in the room is also the assistant director meaning she is often off the floor with no cover and just tells us to "under roof" for ratio. The staff in the room have already tried bringing this up to the management to no avail. We aren't sure where to go from here, but staff are burning out and children aren't engaging. Any ideas to help?
I'm looking into this for you...

I'll let you know once I find out more information.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:29 pm

I find the following information:

EDUCATION AND CARE SERVICES NATIONAL REGULATIONS - REG 107

107 Space requirements--indoor space

(1) This regulation does not apply in respect of a family day care residence.

(2) The approved provider of an education and care service must ensure that, for each child being educated and cared for by the service, the education and care service premises has at least 3.25 square metres of unencumbered indoor space.

Penalty: $2000.

(3) In calculating the area of unencumbered indoor space--

(a) the following areas are to be excluded--

(i) any passageway or thoroughfare (including door swings);
(ii) any toilet and hygiene facilities;
(iii) any nappy changing area or area for preparing bottles;
(iv) any area permanently set aside for the use or storage of cots;
(v) any area permanently set aside for storage;
(vi) any area or room for staff or administration;
(vii) any other space that is not suitable for children;

(b) the area of a kitchen is to be excluded, unless the kitchen is primarily to be used by children as part of an educational program provided by the service.

(4) The area of a verandah may be included in calculating the area of indoor space only with the written approval of the Regulatory Authority.

(5) A verandah that is included in calculating the area of outdoor space cannot be included in calculating the area of indoor space.

(6) In this regulation a reference to a child does not include--

(a) a child being educated or cared for in an emergency in the circumstances set out in regulation 123(5); or
(b) an additional child being educated or cared for in exceptional circumstances as set out in regulation 124(5) and (6).
Note : A compliance direction may be issued for failure to comply with subregulation (2).

--- Point (4) if you are including the verandah it needs to be approved by the regulatory authority.

--- Point (5) if it's already calculated as part of the outdoor space it cannot be used as part of the indoor space.

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:32 pm

In regards to under the roof ratio, please read the following:Under the roof ratio

Lorina

laila94

Post by laila94 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks Lorina, these are very helpful!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:20 pm

You're welcome!

Lorina