Am I being paid correctly?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Veemaxima

Am I being paid correctly?

Post by Veemaxima » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm

I have been working at a long day care centre for 7 months, in the position of a room assistant.
I have my Diploma qualification, and am being paid $21.29 an hour.
Does this seem right to you?

Lorina

Re: Am I being paid correctly?

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:05 pm

As a Diploma qualified room assistant, you are on Level 3.4 and your wage should be: $23.97

Ref: Childcare Wages In Australia

:geek:,
Lorina

Veemaxima

Post by Veemaxima » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks so much for the reply!
I hope you wouldn't mind if I asked a few follow up questions?
Just so I know where I stand :)

Currently, I’m being paid the minimum award wage for cert 3
Are they allowed to employ me as a cert 3, even though I have a diploma?

If so, what duties/ responsibilities would I be expected to perform on a cert 3 level vs diploma? Would I be expected to do less, on a cert 3 pay rate?

When do you think I would be eligible for a pay rise to diploma level? Would there be a time frame, or would that depend on my centre?

Thank you!

- Amy

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Ok, so you are currently working as a room assistant with a Diploma qualification.

As a room assistant, there is a separate wage for a Diploma qualified assistant - Level 3.4. You should be on that wage for a Diploma qualified assistant.

Your responsibilities will be assisting the room leader, you will not be in charge of documentation or planning however you can assist the room leader with this.

You need to talk to your Director about why you are not on Level 3.4.

Lorina

Veemaxima

Post by Veemaxima » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Thank you so much for the help! I'm definitely going to be speaking to my director about this issue.

Before I do though, I'd just like to make sure I have all the bases covered.
I know I signed an agreement/ contract when I started working.
I'm not sure if it included payment, or agreement to a certain wage, but if It did, are they legally allowed to pay me the certificate 3 wage, if I have signed a contact for that amount?

Thanks so much for your help on this matter!

Nikkilou

Post by Nikkilou » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi im new to the forum. I am currently negotiating pay for a Co coordinator of an OShc centre. It's a 123 place centre. I am cert 3 trained working towards diploma they have offered me 5A which is not much more than my previous AC money. What rate would be fair to ask for?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:35 am

Veemaxima wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:36 pm
Thank you so much for the help! I'm definitely going to be speaking to my director about this issue.

Before I do though, I'd just like to make sure I have all the bases covered.
I know I signed an agreement/ contract when I started working.
I'm not sure if it included payment, or agreement to a certain wage, but if It did, are they legally allowed to pay me the certificate 3 wage, if I have signed a contact for that amount?

Thanks so much for your help on this matter!

Hmmm... it's tricky, since if it's mentioned in your contract and you signed for it then they could hold that against you... however, I wouldn't mention it... If they do bring it up just say that you were not aware of the Award Wage and you trusted them to pay you correctly and after going through the Award yourself you noticed that they are paying you less...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:40 am

Nikkilou wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 pm
Hi im new to the forum. I am currently negotiating pay for a Co coordinator of an OShc centre. It's a 123 place centre. I am cert 3 trained working towards diploma they have offered me 5A which is not much more than my previous AC money. What rate would be fair to ask for?
I think that it's fair for a Cert 3 qualification. You are being placed as an OOSH Co-Ordinator and you are only a Cert 3 qualified.

Once you have completed your Diploma Qualification then I think it's fair to move up to Level 6.

This may help you to understand your levels:

Levels For Childcare Wages

Lorina