Pay Advice Please

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
bubbles10

Pay Advice Please

Post by bubbles10 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:40 am

I have read all the documents relating to pay rates and levels, but am still uncertain if I am being paid correctly.

My situation:

- I hold my Cert III

- I am studying my bachelors 0 to 8 years (once I've completed this unit I'll be halfway)

- I have been the sole School Leaver (4 to 5) age group educator since October last year when the ECT left. I currently have 16 children across the week (13 on my busiest day). Responsibilities have included doing all the programming, observations, follow-ups, evaluations and reflections for my group. Implementing the program for my group. Hosting the graduation evening, finishing and issuing end of year reports, communicating with parents etc.

- I'm casual, but have been working 32 to 37 hours a week (obviously not including all the unpaid hours I put in at home).

- I am in the middle of my first year of paid employment in the industry (I'll be at one year complete, as a casual, at the end of July).

- They have just found a new ECT. The Childcare Directorate told them they legally had to advertise for a graduated ECT, despite the centre's director being "more than happy" with the job I am doing. I have been asked to job share with the new ECT (share programming and observation load, show her how I do the programming, continue to run group time up to 5 days a week) "at least" until she has settled into her role. I really don't know what their long-term plan is for me, once she has settled in. I think we're just playing it by ear.

Given that my role will potentially change (I could return to being on-call casual for all I know!), what level should I be paid at?

Is it mandatory for centres to pay those who have completed more than 30 per cent of their bachelors, as a Diploma level staff member? Or is it up to the centre to decide if I'm working at that level?

Lorina

Re: Pay Advice Please

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:30 pm

May I confirm the following:

1) What state are you in?
2) What level are you currently being paid at? You mentioned your cert 3, however, it sounds like you are doing a Diploma qualified position and you should be paid at Level 4A.
3) How many years trained will you be once you completed your degree? As in, how long is your degree? 2 years, 3 years etc.

Here is some information to read up on in the meantime:

Ok, according to ACECQA:

You are considered actively working towards an approved diploma level qualification if you can satisfy all of the above and one of the following:

hold an approved certificate III level qualification OR
have completed the approved certificate III units OR
have completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.

Taken to be an early childhood teacher

In September 2017, the Education Council agreed to extend regulation 242 of the National Regulations. Until 31 December 2019, once you have completed 50% of an approved ECT qualification (or if you already hold an approved diploma level qualification), you can be counted as an early childhood teacher under regulation 242. Please note that regulation 242 does not apply in Victoria after 31 December 2017 or if you are working in a centre-based service educating and caring for 30 or more children preschool age or under in NSW.

:geek:,
Lorina

Katewilson80

Post by Katewilson80 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi. I'm in VIctoria working in a LDC as an ECT. It's my second year and I'm casual, what should I be getting paid per hpur?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 am

From the information given above by ACECQA, you cannot be counted as an ECT unless you have completed your degree. Since you hold a cert 3 qualification and completed 30% of your degree you will be counted as a Diploma qualified educator.

As a Diploma qualified, I think you would be on Level 4A - since it sounds like your responsibilities are those of a room leader so, putting this into consideration your causal hourly wage is $28.40/per hour.

This is for your reference:

Childcare Wages In Australia
Levels For Childcare Wages

Hope this helps!

Lorina

bubbles10

Post by bubbles10 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks for your response. To answer your questions, I am in NSW, being paid at level 3.1, and I will be four years trained to teach.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:47 am

zkjmum wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:17 am
Thanks for your response. To answer your questions, I am in NSW, being paid at level 3.1, and I will be four years trained to teach.

You cannot be paid at Level 3.1 if you are programming and planning and doing all documentation. That's a complete joke!!!

A Level 3.1 is for an Educator who has just completed their cert 3 and is the assistant educator in the room.

Your role sounds exactly like a room leader and in this case, you should be on Level 4A (which is a room leader role without the diploma qualification). Since you have been in this position - you should be on Level 4A.1 at $28.40 an hour (casual rate).

Currently, at Level 3.1 you should be paid at $26.61 an hour (casual rate). Is this what you are getting paid?

You need to sit down with your Director and discuss this because you are getting paid less - for the amount of work you are doing it's not at Level 3.1 of what you are getting paid.

Lorina

ginger

Post by ginger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi Lorina,

I came across this thread and also need some clarifications with my pay. I work in a 66 place LDC as a room assistant. I am working towards my ECT qualification and has finished 70% of the course. Since we badly need an ECT in the centre, my supervisor applied for a temporary waiver for me to be considered one of the ECTs in my centre and my application got approved. My question is this: Do I get paid as a room assistant still or an ECT? Which award level will I be in?

I've been working in the industry for 4 years and 6 months now (3 years in my current centre). I live in NSW.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ginger

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:21 am

Hi Ginger,

From the ACECQA is states -
Taken to be an early childhood teacher

In September 2017, the Education Council agreed to extend regulation 242 of the National Regulations. Under regulation 242, you are ‘taken to be an early childhood teacher’ until 31 December 2019 if you:

are enrolled in an approved early childhood teaching qualification, and
give the approved provider documentary evidence from the course provider that you:
have started the course, and
are making satisfactory progress towards completing the course, and
are meeting the requirements for maintaining the enrolment, and
hold an approved diploma level educator qualification, or have completed at least 50 per cent of the course.

Regulation 242 does not apply in Victoria after 31 December 2017 or if you are working in a centre-based service educating and caring for 30 or more children preschool age or under in NSW.

Since you have a temporary waiver, in regards to pay, are you going to be doing any duties of an ECT or is it just for record purposes, do you have any other qualifications?

Technically, you cannot be paid as an ECT unless you finished your qualification. The highest they could probably pay you is as a room leader if you are taking on the responsibilities of an ECT.

Let me know my questions above and I'll try and find out more info for you.

Lorina

unicornplush

Post by unicornplush » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:11 pm

What would the pay rate be for the following person:

*Full time ECT with all ECT responsibilities - programming etc.
*Actively working towards bachelor qualification - 4 units remaining until completion.
*Currently into the 2nd year in the ECT position.

Thank you :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:07 pm

unicornplush wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:11 pm
What would the pay rate be for the following person:

*Full time ECT with all ECT responsibilities - programming etc.
*Actively working towards bachelor qualification - 4 units remaining until completion.
*Currently into the 2nd year in the ECT position.

Thank you :D
A couple of questions...

1) Cert 3 or Diploma?
2) What state are you in?
3) How many years trained for the ECT degree? As in 2 years, 3 years, etc.

Lorina

ginger

Post by ginger » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thanks for your reply.

Asked my supervisor about the ECT duties and she said I don't have to.

I hold cert 3 quali only before I enrolled in the ECT course. Will I fall on the 3.3 level still?

Thanks,

Ginger

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:59 am

Yes, you still are on Level 3.3 since your responsibilities don't include those of an ECT. Once you complete your ECT qualification, then your wage will change...

Lorina

ginger

Post by ginger » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am

Ok. You have mentioned above about being considered as Diploma Qualified educator once you have reached 30% of the ECT course. Would that be my case as well since I am more than halfway of my course? I am confused if I will be on 3.3 or 3.4?

All our Diploma qualified assistants in the centre are being paid at 3.4. Will I get the same rate then?

I was able to read that in the ACECQA website too but it doesn't mention about the pay. Will the pay of educators 'counted as Diploma- qualified' be adjusted accordingly?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:52 am

Hi Ginger,

Yes, you're right, once you have completed 30% of the ECT course, you may be considered as a Diploma. However unless your service needs you to be counted towards the Diploma ratio, then you will still be paid as a Cert 3 Educator. I would suggest you speak to your Director about it. Let them know that since you have completed 30% of your course are you considered a Diploma now so your Level changes to 3.4.

Lorina

Eni

Post by Eni » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi Lorina,
I have just started a position at a new centre as a Lead Educator and was paid by level 4.1.
I have my diploma and 1 year and 3 months experience as a Lead Educator and I was paid by level 4.2 at my previous position.
Could you please clarify the following for me - Does "4.1 on commencement" mean commencement in the position at a new centre or commencement as a Lead Educator in general?
Thank you so much for your help!
Kind Regards,
Eni

ginger

Post by ginger » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Lorina,

So it will be the employer's discretion and not mandatory? That's very disheartening. Hope fairwork will look into this. 😣 Thanks for your help, Lorina.

Ginger

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:01 am

ginger wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:15 pm
Hi Lorina,

So it will be the employer's discretion and not mandatory? That's very disheartening. Hope fairwork will look into this. 😣 Thanks for your help, Lorina.

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Yes, it depends on your position at the centre... it gets a little confusing when you're "actively working towards" a qualification. Hopefully, you get this sorted soon.

Lorina

Rajji

Post by Rajji » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am

Hi Lorina , I need your advice.. I am in Victoria . And I started working as a centre cook in july2012. I hold diploma in cookery that time. I been paid as support worker level 3 on commencement . After a month I started working as a floater too ( as I had cert 3 in children services ) and my hours been increased to 7.5 hr every day from 5 hrs. But my pay didnt. I been paid same pay rate as a centre cook Until March 2016 . I then moved to educator in kinder room in March 2016. And I been paid 20.79 p h . As an educator. Will you be able to help how much i should be paid since 2012 to 2016
. And is 20.79 right pay as an educator in March 2016 . Thanks in advance

Eni

Pay Advice Please

Post by Eni » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 am

Hi Lorina,
I have just started a position at a new centre as a Lead Educator and was paid by level 4.1.
I have my diploma and 1 year and 3 months experience as a Lead Educator and I was paid by level 4.2 at my previous position.
Could you please clarify the following for me - Does "4.1 on commencement" mean commencement in the position at a new centre or commencement as a Lead Educator in general?
Thank you so much for your help!
Kind Regards,
Eni

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Rajji wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am
Hi Lorina , I need your advice.. I am in Victoria . And I started working as a centre cook in july2012. I hold diploma in cookery that time. I been paid as support worker level 3 on commencement . After a month I started working as a floater too ( as I had cert 3 in children services ) and my hours been increased to 7.5 hr every day from 5 hrs. But my pay didnt. I been paid same pay rate as a centre cook Until March 2016 . I then moved to educator in kinder room in March 2016. And I been paid 20.79 p h . As an educator. Will you be able to help how much i should be paid since 2012 to 2016
. And is 20.79 right pay as an educator in March 2016 . Thanks in advance

It's extremely difficult to trace back pay rates from 2012... pays have changed and increased over the past 5 years so I would recommend you contact Fair Work Australia who can give you a better estimate.

A couple of questions...

1) Why after 5 years you think you have been paid incorrectly?
2) When did you complete your cert 3?
3) From 2012, you were working as a cook and floater?

I'll try and figure out your level for your current rate of pay...

Lorina