Common Organistation Standards, Policies and Procedures

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Disara
Participator
Participator

Common Organistation Standards, Policies and Procedures

Post by Disara » Thu May 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi,
This is my question and answer,
Fill out the table below with examples of common organisational standards, policies and procedures related to the care of infant, toddlers and children and are relevant to Early Childhood Education and care.List two of each.

Relevant standards- i The National Standard
ii National Law and National regulations

Relevant policies - i Child protection policy: Offence relating to protection of
children from harm and hazards (2.3.2)
ii Health Hygiene and safe food policy(2.1.3, 2.1.4, 2.2.1)

Relevant procedures- i I Move We Move Program
ii Get Up & Grow: Healthy Eating and Physical Activity for
Early Childhood

This is my Institute comment for this question, I am difficult to find the correct answer for this question, can you please tell me the answer?
For the first part please refer to the relevant documents such as: Standards for Cots (AS/NZS 2172); National Physical Activity Recommendations 0-5 years etc. as this question is not just about NQS. For the third part please state the relevant procedures which have been taken from the previously listed policies.

Thank you.

Lorina

Re: Common Organistation Standards, Policies and Procedures

Post by Lorina » Fri May 05, 2017 3:59 am

Ok, so cots is one what about nutrition?

:geek:,
Lorina

chami

Re: Common Organistation Standards, Policies and Procedures

Post by chami » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Standards: -NQS, -The child safe standards
Policies: Suncare Policy, Nurtition Policy
Procedures:
1. Suncare -
Children will be required to wear a hat, which protects the face, neck and ears, whenever they are outside. Children will not share hats to minimize the spread of infections such as head lice, impetigo and ring worm.
• Children who do not have their hats will be asked to play in an area protected from the sun.
• Outdoor Activities will be scheduled before 10am and after 2pm whenever possible during months from October through to March.
• SPF30+ broad-spectrum water resistant sunscreen will be provided for children, and applied 15 minutes before going outside. Sunscreen is to be used only as a supplement to clothing and hats; it is not to be used by itself. Parents written permission will be required if sunscreen is provided by the centre. Staff will ensure that sunscreen is not out of date.
• Staff will act as role models by:
o wearing appropriate hats and clothing while outside using 30+ sunscreen
o teaching children about skin and ways to protect it from skin cancer will be incorporated into the program.

2.Nutrition:
• Food is prepared and stored hygienically (See Policy on Health)
• The centre will provide children with balanced meals that meet the recommended daily nutritional needs of children within each age grouping.
• Meal times will be treated as social occasions. Staff members will sit with the children and interact with them to encourage good eating habits and an appreciation of a variety of foods. Children will be assisted where required but will be encouraged to be independent and to help themselves wherever appropriate.
• The menu will reflect a wide variety of cultures, and especially the cultural backgrounds of families and the local community. Recipes for all meals will be available to parents/guardians
• Lunch and three snacks will be provided to the children on a daily basis. These meals and snacks will be appropriate to the children’s developmental needs and supply 50%-70% of their “daily recommended nutritional requirements”.
• The menu will be varied and changed regularly. Wherever possible fresh seasonally available produce will be used. Menus will be planned with input from children, parents, the cook, director and staff, and displayed in the kitchen area in a prominent position visible to parents.
• Meals will be appetizing and provide variety in colour, texture and taste.
• Water will always be readily available.
• Meal times will be set to a regular schedule but individual needs will be accommodated and children who are hungry between meals will be offered small nutritionally appropriate snacks.
• Children will be encouraged to try new food but will never be forced to eat. Their food likes and dislikes and the family’s religious and cultural beliefs will always be respected.
• Where children are on special diets / allergies, the parents /guardians will be asked to provide a list of suitable foods and their child’s food preferences.
• Parents/guardians of infants and toddlers will be advised of their child’s food intake each day. Parents/guardians of older children will be advised as appropriate.
• The provision or denial of food will never be used as a form of punishment. A child with allergies will not be isolated from the menu.
• The importance of good healthy food will be discussed with children as part of their daily program.
• Information on nutrition, age appropriate diet, food handling and storage will be displayed at the centre and available to all clients and staff.
• Guidelines for managing food allergies in child care:
o ensure list of food allergies is displayed clearly for all staff that prepare and serve snacks and meals
o encourage children to take responsibility for their food selections
o staff will become familiar with the foods that contain potential allergens
o photographs of the children with allergies together with the days each child attends will be displayed for all staff.