Natural Cleaning Products Used In Centres

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Natural Cleaning Products Used In Centres

Post by JNP » Thu May 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering what cleaning products everyone uses at their centres. At our kindergarten we use a spray bottle filled with diluted disenfectant to clean the tables, equipment etc. This was a procedure which was in place when I started at the kindergarten. Today I went to a professional development session where it was suggested that we try to eliminate chemicals and use natural products for cleaning. I would really love to try this but am unsure if using natural products would effectively kill bacteria.
Does anyone have any ideas or recipies for natural cleaning products?

Thanks
Jules
L.A have you had the baby? Hope you are well...xx
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited, topic moved from Experiences In Childcare forum

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Cleaning Products

Post by LindyT » Fri May 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi JNP

Yes LA has had her little girl 2 weeks ago :)

We use soapy water in a spray bottle. We make it up warm.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Fri May 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for that Lindy T. Best wishes to LA xx

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 am

Baking soda... This works very well to kill germs.. Although I have never used it at a centre. Like, you, I've only used the disinfectant diluted with water. Also like Lindy suggested warm soapy water is probably the safest option.

I am providing you with a link to some natural cleaning recipes, maybe they can give you some ideas:
http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

Thank you for your wishes! Yes, like Lindy said I delivered a baby girl, we named Maya 2 weeks ago (4th May)... Everything so far has been great!

:geek:,
L.A

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Sat May 18, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks L.A,
That's a great link, now all I have to do is convince my co-workers to make a change!! Congratulations on your baby girl, I'm glad to hear everything is going well.xx

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Tue May 28, 2013 8:45 am

Hi JNP,

At our centre we use tea tree oil diluted with water in a spray bottle which is a great natural anti-bacterial (I also use this at home). We also use normal dishwashing liquid for things like tables, chairs etc. Apparently these are safe for the children but work well to kill germs.

These are also sustainable practices - which might convince your co-workers if the centre wants to become more sustainable.

Rosie

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks Rosie,
I was actually thinking that we could put natural cleaning products as an improvement on our quality improvement plan..I have spoken to my co-workers but they don't seem to think it's a big deal using disenfectant. It is difficult when one person wants to make a change and others don't. I love the idea of the tea tree oil. How much tea tree oil to water do you use?

Thanks again
Jules

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Wed May 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi Jules,

Oh I see - if it were me I'd definitely be with you on bettering the QIP! And I love using natural cleaning methods... We just use a few drops of oil to a regular spray bottle. The oil can be expensive, but a little goes a long way.
Rosie

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Wed May 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi Rosie,
I am definitely going to try the Tea Tree oil.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Jules :)

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed May 29, 2013 5:52 pm

When I use tea tree oil as a general purpose cleaner this is the mix I use

5 drops of water soluble tea tree oil to a spray bottle then add hot tap water. You can also add 1 tea spoon of dish washing liquid.
Last edited by LindyT on Wed May 29, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: left a word out.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Wed May 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks Lindy T.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:45 pm

At my previous centre we used chemicals but the natural orange etc.
Current centre uses warm soapy water. However for floors we use K-san, the only thing is that they have been told even when cleaning up accidents (wee, poo, vomit) its warm soapy water.
Sorry but surely these situations need more than soapy water ??

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi fefe76,
Thanks for your feedback, we were also told that warm soapy water is suitable to clean up accidents. I agree with you surely warm soapy water doesn't kill bacteria??
Maybe I'm wrong!
Jules

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:59 pm

I always thought that to kill germs/bacteria the water has to be hot (like when we sterilize bottles etc). I think when using warm water and soap you are wiping away some of the bacteria but not all... If you need to clean up poo and vomit etc, I would remove all children from the area and use hot water to clean it up... for jobs around the centre I think warm soapy water is sufficient enough.

:geek:,
L.A

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Natural Cleaning Products Used In Centres

Post by JNP » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks for your feedback L.A. :)
We have started using warm water and dishwashing detergent for jobs around the centre and use disenfectant for bodily fluids. I recently found a recipe for a miracle spray which is made from water, vinegar, dishwashing detergent, eucalyptus and washing soda (lectric Soda).
I am going to try this at the centre and at home too.
If anyone is interested in the recipe it can be found at www.cheapskates.com.au

Jules.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let everyone know (those of you who are interested) that we are now using natural cleaning products at our kindergarten. We are using the 'miracle spray' and it is great for tables, bench tops, toilets, sinks. I'm using it at home too and I love it. I know I sound like a clean freak!! I'm not really... :giggle:

suz28

Post by suz28 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:18 pm

lindy t.
how often do you make up this solution.. we use warm soapy water in a bucket but have to make it up each time we need to use it..A bit time consuming

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:07 am

Hi suz28 I make it up once a day.

elly123

Post by elly123 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Yes it’s true that kids are very sensitive we should keep them away from chemicals. Try to use natural cleaning products in your kindergarten. At our kindergarten we have hired house cleaners who use homemade cleaning products.

curtisstrata

Post by curtisstrata » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:36 pm

+1 for tea tree oil. I put a small amount of it into a bottle with water that is well diluted and a bit of natural soap or I use the diluted tea tree oil and bicarb soda to clean first. So bicarb, water and then a spray of tea tree. The tea tree is like a natural disinfectant and is great for when using around children and animals.