Ratio question as a casual

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kellymm20
Helper
Helper

Ratio question as a casual

Post by kellymm20 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:49 am

Hi All,

I have been doing a few 'casual days of work' whilst studying. I'm only at the beginning of my Diploma and today was my 3rd shift as a casual. I was rostered on to work from 10 - 5 pm. Leading up to 5 pm, i was asked what time i finished as the ladies were working out ratio's. I told them 5 pm. Once 5pm rolled around, we had 5 children left in the toddler room which i was in. The senior staff member told me to go although she did make a big mention of how she was 1 over on ratio. I did offer to stay for longer but she told me she was fine. What should i have done? Stayed or followed her direction? Meanwhile there was 1 staff member in the nursery with only 1 baby. SO in my opinion she could have joined up with the toddlers??? Or am i wrong? Appreciate some guidance :) Thanks

Lorina

Re: Ratio question as a casual

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:28 am

Yes, the staff member with only one baby should join with the toddler room to cover the ratio... Joining rooms at the end of the day is very common to cover ratios, not sure why they didn't think of it themselves?? Anyway, it's their responsibility to cover ratio since they are the full time workers at the centre. All you can do is offer but if they don't take it then don't worry too much about it...

Hope you're enjoying your work!

:geek:,
Lorina