Legislative Requirements on record keeping

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Legislative Requirements on record keeping

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:59 am

What is the requirement regarding information on learning experiences in terms of record keeping

Where I am the staff are told at the end of each year, or end of each portfolio the entire thing is photocopied and kept in the child's file. I personally find this ridiculous and from a sustainability point of view disastrous.

What does everyone else do?

Lorina

Re: Legislative Requirements on record keeping

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:43 am

According to the National Law & Regs all child assessments need to be kept until the end of 3 years after the child's last attendance.

Another option would be since you're spending time photocopying, scan it instead add to an individual child's folder onto the computer, make a copy of each child's folder with relevant info onto a disk and store the disk somewhere safely... I don't see why this isn't an option as long as everything is legible and you don't have to keep boxes of files...

Just a suggestion,

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:08 am

I hate filing. I agree it waste so much paper and time. From the beginning of the year itself when doing Obs, learning stories etc. when they are complete we photocopy it straight away and put it into each child’s individual folders. These folders are then archived at the end of the year into boxes and put on shelves in the store room. Photocopying them and filing them straight away saves us time doing it at the end of the year. I do like Lorina’s suggestion though... So much easier I think, provided you have fast scanner.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm not actually sure we even keep copies of our Portfolios- maybe only the yearly Developmental assessments? Is this something that definitely should be done? Best ask my Director what she thinks too!