Is this normal of childcare? Is the grass greener on the other side?

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
anon1985

Is this normal of childcare? Is the grass greener on the other side?

Post by anon1985 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:48 pm

I work in a long day centre and have just cut down my days to 3 due to burning out. On a typical day I have 21-25 children with 2 additional needs and 2 undiagnosed/behavioural issues. There is the room leader who has just come over in the last month, trainee and myself. I have been in this room all year and have gone through 4 staff due to burning out and one of the additional needs child has very high needs and the parents are quite abrasive and bullying. We get extra funding for one of the additional needs but due to low staff (4 have quit from my room over the last year) most the time we lose our 3rd and have to transition children to meet ratio but then there is 2 educators and 2 additional needs with 18 other children. The room leader spends a lot of the day making the room more appealing to look at and I am to the point I am questioning if I am in the right career due to being so stressed out!
I have 3 children one with additional needs so I am no stranger to stress but it is coming at me from every angle.
I have sent emails, cried, threatened to quite and complained numerous times with it fixing up for a week and then going back to normal.
Its all due to low staff and no one wanting to work with this particular child as he is constantly attempting to escape, takes an hour to been spoon fed x3 a day. I am with him next year as well as another 2 additional needs, I doubt I will be getting a 3rd person to assist us so am freaking out already as is the room leader of that room. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore this child and am very protective over of them.
My question is, Is it like this in other centres? Is the grass not greener on the other side?
I am so stressed and wondering if I am just not strong enough to be in this industry or if this is the centre not the industry.

Lorina

Re: Is this normal of childcare? Is the grass greener on the other side?

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:27 pm

For the children with additional needs, has your service contacted Inclusion Support? They will work with the Service and you to provide support on strategies you can include into your day to day routine to help these two children. You can also receive additional funding to hire another Educator to assist you in the room with these two children.

Every service is different... Like you are experiencing some services have children with additional needs that require extra attention while others may not have any children with additional needs within their room... so it really depends...

I understand it's quite a lot to take on board especially if you are not getting the required support. It's extremely frustrating and stressful having to work in a room where you don't have the right amount of staff. it seems like you have already tried to fix the issue but it doesn't seem like anything is going to change anytime soon, so you either put up with it or move on...

May I ask what room are you working in and state?

:geek:,
Lorina

anon1985

Post by anon1985 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Thank Lorina,
We do have the funding for a extra member but due to short staff I hardly ever get it. I have contacted the early intervention service which supplies the funding and had a meeting with them but I am doing all the correct things, just need support. I love these children, I just cannot look after them with the lack of support I am getting as I am burning out.
I am in nsw 3-4 year old room so in ratio of 1:10 but not extra staffing even with the funding.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:44 pm

It’s tough that’s for sure!

It seems like you’re doing all you can but as you said without the support it’s good for nothing...

Hopefully you get some time off during the Christmas break to recuperate, de stress and take a break before starting it all over again in the New Year...

:geek:,
Lorina

Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Post by Elianaa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Ugh that’s very sad for you and for those children.
I think it is pretty common thing at some centres. I worked at a private centre and had a similar experience. Personally I left because I didn’t feel supported and able to provide the best care and education for kids. I now work at a council centre, 25 kids and 5 staff. It’s so much better.
There are lots of amazing centres that will support you and have decent staffing.
Find a centre that works for you!
Good luck with everything!