A Question For FDC Educators

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
emilysnan

A Question For FDC Educators

Post by emilysnan » Thu May 24, 2012 10:01 am

AT the moment I have 1 10months 1 12 Months and 3 preschool age, Anything I set up for the Preschoolers Is trashed by the babies, One has a big sleep in the morning The other one has a big sleep in afternoon, This leaves 3 preshoolers running around not engaging in enviroments set up to suit our program,because they have either been trashed or are constatly crawled over,this is really starting to get to me,Do any Educaters have any tips that may save my sanity or what is left of it.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: A Question For FDC Educators

Post by LindyT » Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Firstly good luck with thinking about salvaging any sanity lol

I send to set up activities specifically for the over 3's on tables so that the toddlers/babies can't get to them as easily. In limited space it can be difficult.

Have you tried using a play pen for the older kids activities. You and help them in and out as needed??

Becd

Post by Becd » Thu May 24, 2012 1:16 pm

I also have this problem, usually more so during school holidays. FDC can be very challangening with the space and different ages at times. my kitchen/where the children eat is close by and i have a safety gate across it from one room to another so i usually set up different things for the older children at the 'high' table as younger ones can't reach. The children seem to really enjoy this as they feel independent being in another room from the babies. I can still supervise both rooms as i stand between them and have full visual. The other thing i TRY to do is entertain the babies in a different area of the playroom so the older children can have time to themselves, this can be very tricky though. Outside, it is usually easier to set up high activities for the older children and more space.

GOODLUCK, i hope this helps

little yellow
Participator
Participator

Post by little yellow » Tue May 29, 2012 3:19 pm

Hey Bec,

I also have this problem, what I have been luckily enough to do is change sleep patterns (speak with parents first of course) it might suit you, it's helped me alot as I have a 2 and 3 y.o who liked to be left alone to work on what they're doing and x2 1 y.os trying to eat and throw everything ha ha.

I put them down after lunch now so I have 2 hours (yes i am also very lucky there :) ) to really engage and try things with the older ones.

When everyone is awake we just run riot alot of messy sensory play and outdoor play anything that everyone can join in on (let me know if you after any activities) I can't put my older ones up on the bigger table as my 1's can climb! What I have noticed though is that my 1's are happy to play on their own if given something that keeps their interest it's my older ones always wanting my full attention.

I feel for you, I really do ha ha it's a hard job on your sanity some days! I bet you're doing a fantastic job though we are always too hard on ourselves.

LY

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue May 29, 2012 5:04 pm

LY you are exactly right we are all too hard on ourselves!!