New To The Nursery, Writing Observations and Sensory Play

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
loverofbooklol01

New To The Nursery, Writing Observations and Sensory Play

Post by loverofbooklol01 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi my names Hannah,
I've only been working at my current centre for a year and although i am excited to be in the nursery in February im really nervous. I know that it will be fine but im worried im going to struggle with writing observations. I have all of these different activities i want to do in the room but im still a little unsure.
If anyone has some ideas i could do in the nursery in regards to sensory play please let me know

Lorina

Re: New To The Nursery, Writing Observations and Sensory Play

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi Hannah,

Working with nursery room can be a little nerving at first. You need to get use to all the babies routines and their habits and cries. It can be a little unsettling especially dealing with the crying but as long as you are came and patient then you will be fine! If you are stressed then a baby can sense it and pick up on it as well... so keep a calm head. Don't worry too much about it, you'll be fine after a couple of weeks.

It's also an idea to have a good relationships with each child's parent. Make sure you talk to each of them in the afternnon, keep them updated on what their baby has done throughout the day, ask them what they did over the weekend and use this in the program, any new milestones their baby is trying to acheive which you can also use for individual planning etc.

You'll get into the swing of things soon enough and you'll get into your own little routine!

I thought the following information may help in regards to observations:

Observations In Childcare

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:52 pm

With sensory experiences, you just have to be mindful that babies put everything in their mouth so make sure that it is edible and give each child a little to explore for themselves rather than in a big tub to share. You can even make edible paint which is yoghurt and food colouring or you could just by flavoured yoghurt which babies can explore... Jelly, cooked noodles - with food colouring, play dough, water etc. These all can be used as sensory experiences!

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Lorina

loverofbooklol01

Post by loverofbooklol01 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks thats heaps of help. I never thought about using yogurt in paint. I can't wait to try that in the room. Ill let you know how it goes. As for getting to know my parents, I've been lucky enough to meet some of my new parents in the room and spend time getting to know them so that's a plus ☺

ruth198

Post by ruth198 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi Hannah , I have been worked with babies for nearly 3 years and i give them everything to play with , We play with slime , goop, play dough, paint , Glitter, shaving foam, rolled oats and water ( we did this in a bath tub for babies to sit in) Cooked rice and pasta, Rice bubbles seems to be the favorite with my babies they always enjoy crunching them . All the best , it is a little hard at first but babies are fantastic and they are so capable , and they love exploring!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:18 am

ruth198 wrote:QR_BBPOST I have been worked with babies for nearly 3 years and i give them everything to play with , We play with slime , goop, play dough, paint , Glitter, shaving foam, rolled oats and water ( we did this in a bath tub for babies to sit in) Cooked rice and pasta, Rice bubbles seems to be the favorite with my babies they always enjoy crunching them . All the best , it is a little hard at first but babies are fantastic and they are so capable , and they love exploring!

You got some great ideas! Thanks for sharing!!

Lorina