Should I study my diploma??

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Should I study my diploma??

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi everybody!

I need help!! I'm having 2nd thoughts on weather I should study my diploma next year. I'm so passionate about childcare and delivering high quality education to young children but I'm worried I'm a bit young to be studying my diploma. Should I wait until I'm a bit older and have more experience in childcare before studying my diploma? Is age a barrier? I ask this because I know that the diploma let's you have more of a leadership role in the service ect. Please help!!

Lorina

Re: Should I study my diploma??

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:17 am

Good on you! I think it's fantastic that you are not even 18 yet and you have almost completed your cert 3! That's really good. I think you should continue onto your Diploma. You will be 18 in March so it's not that far off and once you have your Diploma as you said you can get more of a leadership role.

During your diploma course you will have an opportunity to do work placement so you will be able to get some experience during that time. You can also do some casual work here and there and that will also boost your confidence.

Completing your diploma quite young is actually a really good idea. In a few years time or whenever you're ready you can begin your early childhood degree if you wanted to. Some people don't complete a diploma or even a degree until their mid twenties so this is a great opportunity for you to get your qualification young and gain a early career within this industry.

I had a look at the regulations and it says the following:

120 Educators who are under 18 to be supervised

The approved provider of a centre-based service must ensure that any educator at the service who is under 18 years of age—
(a) does not work alone at the service; and
(b) is adequately supervised at all times by an educator who has attained the age of 18 years.
Penalty: $1000.

Note. A compliance direction may be issued for failure to comply with this regulation.

Ref: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maint ... 011+cd+0+N

So, you can still work in a centre even if you're under 18 as long as you're supervised. Age is no barrier!

Besides you can get all the help and support you need from here! ;)

:geek:,
L.A

Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi L.A,

Thanks for your encouraging words, They mean so much to me. :) I think I've asked this a few times but how would you recomend studying the diploma. Face to face, online ect. Is it a good idea to combine study with work? Will that make it easier in the long run in terms of Prac and understandinfpg unit materials better. Did that make sense?

This is a wonderful support network and I'm so glad I discovered it! :) :)

Thanks again for the support. I guess it is a really is a great idea to get your diploma young.

Thanks,
Becr26 :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:29 am

Hi Again,

The mode of study really depends on what you feel comfortable with. Studying face to face is helpful to you if you want a classroom environment where you can interact with others and get support from a teacher who is able to explain the materials to you and teach you (exactly like in school). As for online well your in charge of your learning. You have to decide when to go over the materials, researching the necessary information,managing your time to do assignments before the due date without the help of others. It's all on you...

There is also another option of doing a Diploma traineeship. This means you work and study at the same time. At your centre you will be under a contract that you will complete the diploma qualification while working there. This is usually done through online/correspondence. This is good if you want to gain more experience but I'll warn you that you may not have the time to study at work itself even though your entitled to it. You will mostly be completing your assignments at home than at work... Even if you decide to do face to face or online study you still have the option of working as well depending on whether you are doing a full time or part time course..

In terms of working and studying is does go hand in hand while doing the diploma qualification. You will need access to a variety of different sources that are easily available within a centre. Also many of the scenario based question are those which you may experience while working at a centre. However, if you decide to do a full time course and find work after completion that's fine. You can find a lot of information online nowadays and everything is easily researchable. So, it's really up to you and the best node of study which benefits you...

You have to ask yourself whether you will be able to manage your time to do an online course or prefer a classroom environment?

Lots to think about,

:geek:,
L.A

Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks L.A!

Yes, you've have certainly given me a lot to think about. I'll certainly be thing very hard about it. It's my future so I don't want to chose the wrong thing.