Rules for the "New Diploma" in NSW

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
missouri

Rules for the "New Diploma" in NSW

Post by missouri » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:52 am

Can anyone please tell me how to find out the rules about the new diploma that are coming in the new year.? My daughter works full time in childcare in a centre in NSW, She got her Certificate III using ACCCO, then signed up with them at the start of the year to do the diploma, so she is a diploma trainee with ACCCO as the trainer, while working full time. She only got her assignments in March this year, has done eleven so far, signed off with praise from trainers, with seven to go [in the meantime her trainer has changed three times] Anyway, she will not get the last seven assignments finished by the cut off date she has been given which is the 16th December.
My daughter has been told she will have to sign up to do the "new diploma" and at a cost of almost $4000.
ACCCO are of no help with details, So, can any help with the correct information or tell us who to get in touch with.
My daughter now feels she has wasted her time and effort she has put in.
Does she have to start all over again?
Sorry for the long post.

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Re: Rules for the "New Diploma" in NSW

Post by megs_95 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:22 am

Is her course code CHC50113 or CHC50908? If it's the second one, she may have to roll over into the new course - CHC50113 - which could mean extra units added and possibly that some units she's completed weren't needed. However most of what she has done she should get recognition for, I'm pretty sure.

As far as the cost, I've heard that they've raised it because the diploma is becoming compulsory, and also to make trainees more "accountable" for their study - I guess a lot were starting and dropping out, and which is easy to do when the course cost your $500, not so much when you paid $4000...

I've only just started my diploma and I chose to start by correspondence rather than as a trainee, because the RTO I'm with (Wave Learning) assured me that after I paid their $1500 course fee, that was it, and I'm not liable to pay $4000 in the new year. Maybe its worth looking into transferring somewhere before the end of the year, so you don't get stuck with the full $4000 fee? Its such a ridiculous situation!

missouri

Post by missouri » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks megs_95, yes, it is a ridiculous situation, and I am sure ACCCO would have known at the start of the year there was going to be changes, My daughter would have finished her diploma if she had been able to stick to to her original course frame, she now has a mortgage so handing out up to $4000 to do the new one is out of the question.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:51 am

The following information may help:

Reach for Training - Centrelink Assistance

May worth looking into as fees may be manageable and affordable.

Also as Meg's said, all the units your daughter has completed she can get RPO ( recognition of prior learning) so she will not have to redo the units already done...

:geek:,
L.A

missouri

Post by missouri » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Thank you Lorina, will look into Centrelink, anything from them will help pay the fees. Prior recognition would be good too, I think students who were doing the old diploma should have been allowed to finish in the time frame they were first given. I feel so sorry for all the students who rushed to finish on time. My daughter has got so stressed trying to finish that she has given up.
Your information will be used to encourage her to start again.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:49 pm

I know this is a bit late but I was in the same situation as your daughter this year, but had more time than her, to finish my last 7 units and did complete it just within the cut off, which was Nov the 30th for my college. I was sent a transition letter explaining what I would get 'credit' for and what extra I would have to do if I couldn't finish CHC50908 in time. With the new diploma CHC50113 the letter said I would have to do 16 more units and 9 gap assessments. I know this may be different depending what 11 units your daughter has completed but I hope it gives you an idea.

I was not impressed to see how much extra I would have to do, I feel for your daughter it is not fair for people who have done their cert 3 and are so close to finishing their Diploma but just can't make it.

Macoola :)

missouri

Post by missouri » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:49 am

Thank you Macoola , I had a look at two of the assignments she has still to do, the notes on one states it will take about 90 hours!!!!, ACCCO seem to have their own version of the diploma, for example CHCORG506E is Co-ordinate the work environment and CHCIC511A is Implement and promote inclusive policies and practices in childrens services, this one only requires 40 hours to complete all "readings, activities and assessments" I have been looking online for information for both of these but can't even find matching course numbers. I was even thinking of trying to find a tutor to help her get some of them done and hopefully get "credit" if she has to sign up again, and it will not be with ACCCO. Well done to you for finishing on time.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:54 am

again Missouri,

I am sorry to hear you are having so much difficulty with ACCCO. One this I mist say though is the units you stated are correct, I looked back over my assessments and CHCORG506E is co-ordinate the work environment and CHCIC511A is implement and promote inclusive policies and practices in childrens services. So at least it looks like the college is offering the correct units. The reason you can't find it oonline anymore is because all the RTOs have upgraded to CHC50113, I even tried to look on my own colleges website but they have gotten rid of the CHC50908 as well. Your college sld really be offering extra support if you daughter has made it clear to them that she doesn't want to transition to the new course. It is so unfair that this was sprung on her and now they are expecting you to fork out an extra $4000 with extra workload added for the same outcome in the end, a diploma. You sld definitely ring or visit the college and explain to them what support you think your daughter needs and how they haven't met them.

Sorry to go on but I am seeing so many people put in this same situation due to the change in the course. Not enough credit is given for students who have done their cert 3 and most of their Diploma. I hope your daughter can work something out with her college.

Macoola

missouri

Post by missouri » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks again Macoola for your encouragement, I myself am a Cert 3 with a few years of experience behind me but some of the assessments are beyond me, I will help and support my daughter as much as I can, I know these Christmas holidays will be spent at her laptop getting as much as she can done, I have spoken to another training college and they said they can "credit" her for assessments done if she moves over to them, a little light at the end of this sorry tale!!!. Merry Christmas to you.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:52 am

missouri wrote:Thanks again Macoola for your encouragement, I myself am a Cert 3 with a few years of experience behind me but some of the assessments are beyond me, I will help and support my daughter as much as I can, I know these Christmas holidays will be spent at her laptop getting as much as she can done, I have spoken to another training college and they said they can "credit" her for assessments done if she moves over to them, a little light at the end of this sorry tale!!!. Merry Christmas to you.
Don't forget we are also here to guide and support your daughter through any questions, concerns or doubts she may have in regards to assignment questions! Before you both know it, your daughter will finish and gain her qualification to start working in childcare. :thumbup:

Also nice to see such a supportive mum on board!

L.A

missouri

Post by missouri » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:10 pm

I would just like to give an update on my daughter and her diploma, SHE FINISHED IT AND HAS BEEN SIGNED OFF. I am really proud of my daughter, she spent all her Christmas holiday time off working on assignments, I became her study buddy, and anything she did not understand we talked it out. There was a few tears at times but she did not give up.
The only downside is the centre she works at fulltime are saying they do not need another diploma at the moment so she has to stay as a Cert III or look for another job, something to overcome in the near future.
Thank you for allowing me to vent on this site and the support from the replies,

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi Missouri,

Thank you so much for the update! Congratulations to your daughter! You both must be so relieved to finally get it out of the way. It's a great way to start the new year! Such great news!

I know how concerned you were with everything that happened between both of the colleges and you were both very worried. Great to hear that you supported her all the way through! I hope you too can go out and enjoy yourselves. Maybe a mini holiday somewhere?

Awesome!

Lorina

ACCCOInternational

Post by ACCCOInternational » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Sorry to hear that your daughter was having trouble completing her course. Please feel free to contact our Head Office in Brisbane on 1300 139 406 should you wish to discuss anything about the current qualifications.
I hope your daughters career in child care is going well.
Kind Regards
Sherelyn Hallam
International Manager