Watch

Qualitative and Quantitative Methods To Evaluate Sustainability Program

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Carlaleaha

Qualitative and Quantitative Methods To Evaluate Sustainability Program

Post by Carlaleaha » Tue May 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi every one
I'm having a lot of trouble with the following question have asked colleagues and no one can point me in the right direction. Thank you for any help

Outline one qualitative method (change that can be observed or described) and one quantitative method (a change that can be measured numerically) that a service could use to evaluate their sustainability program.
As part of the answer include a method relating to each of the following:
Cleaning and maintenance
Building
Equipment

Thank you any help given

Jaclynberuldsen

Re: Sustainability in an education and caree setting

Post by Jaclynberuldsen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:03 am

Hi, I don't know how much help this would be now,

For cleaning and maintenance: Qualitative: How sustainable is the cleaning equipment, could we implement ones that are more sustainable (look at the ingredients, if power is used etc)? How well do they work? Quantitative: How many sustainable cleaning products do we have? Could we have more?
Building: Qualitative: To what extent is our building sustainable? How well do our windows keep the warmth in in winter and the heat out during summer? Are there windows that could do it better? Quantitative: How many sustainable qualities does our building have, double glazed windows, insulation, automatic lighting, could we implement more?
Equipment: Qualitative: How well does the equipment do the job which they were purchased for, and what aspects of them are sustainable? Are there products that could do the job better which are more sustainable? Quantitative: What percentage of your equipment is sustainable? Could we have more sustainable products?

This is what I think they might be asking?

Lorina

Re: Sustainability in an education and caree setting

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Jaclynberuldsen wrote:Hi, I don't know how much help this would be now,

For cleaning and maintenance: Qualitative: How sustainable is the cleaning equipment, could we implement ones that are more sustainable (look at the ingredients, if power is used etc)? How well do they work? Quantitative: How many sustainable cleaning products do we have? Could we have more?
Building: Qualitative: To what extent is our building sustainable? How well do our windows keep the warmth in in winter and the heat out during summer? Are there windows that could do it better? Quantitative: How many sustainable qualities does our building have, double glazed windows, insulation, automatic lighting, could we implement more?
Equipment: Qualitative: How well does the equipment do the job which they were purchased for, and what aspects of them are sustainable? Are there products that could do the job better which are more sustainable? Quantitative: What percentage of your equipment is sustainable? Could we have more sustainable products?

This is what I think they might be asking?
Thanks for your suggestions! Really appreciate it!

:geek:,
Lorina

vharriss

Re: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods To Evaluate Sustainability Program

Post by vharriss » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:31 am

Hi Ladies,

Probably way too late but I just wanted to clarify in case others see this post. When it comes to measuring sustainability data it is almost what Jaclynberuldsen said but not quite. When you make a change (any change to process and procedure) you can measure it two ways:

Quantitative (quantity): Able to be measured by numbers (such as the electricity usage decreased by 20 KWh per day) When you measure using quantifiable data you can literally measure the affect it has had on the service. How many Kilowatts has not using the dryer for drying bedding saved us per week? From that saving what does that equate to dollars saved? How much time has it saved or taken? Has that saved us in wages or cost us. All of this is measured in numbers (KWh, dollars, time, wages {dollars again}).

Qualitative (quality): Observation, opinion, attitudes (not measurable by numbers) - in other words you could ask people what they think about the change and/or observe changes in behaviour, get peoples opinion on it. Has a change bought about learning for the children, have they taken it on? This is not measurable in a numerical sense simply because it is an opinion/thought/attitude.

So what Jaclynberuldsen said in regard to building, cleaning and equipment was right on the money in regard to sustainability, just not quite "methods to evaluate a sustainability program."

So if you wanted to use a method that was a quantifiable method you would do a before and after evaluation. What was our usage before we put this in place and what was our usage after?

If you wanted a qualitative method you would observe peoples actions in the workplace, talk with people and see what their attitudes were to the change. Did people take on the change, do people think it is worth it, do they think that the saving equals a good change considering the environment?

I hope I haven't overstepped.....

All the best