Bedford College Diploma

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
beagle.kate

Bedford College Diploma

Post by beagle.kate » Fri May 20, 2011 7:24 am

Hi,

In July I start at Bedford College and was wondering if anyone either went there, is going there or has heard anything about it?

I made the decision to go there instead of Uni because I am hoping it is more hands on. I'll be studying my Diploma.

Also, in a Diploma does anyone know what the assignments/exams are like? I mean are they huge essays based on theory? Or is it more 'practical', like making things that would suit certain age groups?

Thanks guys.

Lorina

Re: Bedford College Diploma

Post by Lorina » Fri May 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Hello Kate,

Sorry I don't have any info about what Bedford College is like but I have my diploma so I can give you info on that.

With the diploma assignments some are harder than others, but then again that's like everything else. You will receive modules to complete and each modules has assignments. The information in the modules will help you complete your assignments however there are times where you will need to research the answer. The assignment questions seem harder then they appear basically because of the wording that is used. All the assignments are doable so it's not impossible some just may take more times than others.

You will also be required to go on work placement. Usually this for about 3 weeks at a time at the end of each unit. During work placement you will have "practical" assignment to complete. Like observing children, setting up experience, writing learning stories etc.. This is a great opportunity to get a sense of what it's actually like working in a childcare centre. The staff at the centre can be very supporting and they also help you out with your assignments.

There is a lot of information to learn but it's just part of the process…

If you ever need help, you know where to come :wink:,

We are more than happy to help you out!

:geek:,
L.A

emmastudent

Re: Bedford College Diploma

Post by emmastudent » Sun May 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi Kate,
I know of a few people who went to Bedford College, most of the courses seem quite accelerated compared to say the Tafe Diploma, however i think that the course work is quite thorough. My advise is to do as much work placement as possible at as many different centres as possible to gather your own methods and hands on knowledge of child care. I would even suggest volunteering one afternoon a week at a centre as i know when hiring staff that were freshly out of bedford or even Tafe that while the theory was sound the practical work seemed lacking.

But then again you might already have a wealth of experience! Or i might of had a skewed selection!!!
Best of luck, i hope it all goes well.
Emma :P