Diploma, observation help, can anyone help with a senario

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
odinlash

Diploma, observation help, can anyone help with a senario

Post by odinlash » Sun May 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi there, i am studying the diploma and i dont work in the feild so some of this i find difficult.

i am studying the topic foster psychological and emotional develpment,
and have an assesment due in a few days
i am required to make obsevations,
but 2 of these questions im not sure wat would be an appropriate scenario to use to reflect what im ment to write about.

1. obseve the child to fins out about the childs develpoing self esteem and develping of self identity

2. observe the child to see how the express their feelings and needs and how they interact with others with respect.

Any example of what i could look for when recording, or scenaios that relate to this form of develpment would really help.

Lorina

Re: Diploma, observation help, can anyone help with a senari

Post by Lorina » Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Hey Odinlash,

I have a few Scenarios you can use:

Q1. Normally the child will likely have a family photo upon the wall. As part of an observation you could ask the child about their family and get the other children to ask questions as well. Listen to what the child has to say e.g. “that’s me and my baby brother. I look after my brother and play with him. I help my mum in the kitchen and I like watching T.V with my dad” etc. Instead of using a family photo you could also include a scenario where the child draws their family and tells you a bit about each of their family members and themselves.

Q2. Sing the song “happy and you know it”. Then have a group discussion on feelings. Talk to the child about times they feel angry, sad, happy, excited etc. Discuss ways of how to appropriately interact when they are feeling angry or sad. For e.g. “sometimes I get angry when my baby brother takes my toy that I’m playing with but he’s only little so I choose another toy to play with” etc.

I know how difficult it can be to complete assignments especially if you’re not even working in this industry. Just try to imagine what you would do, say, observe, act in the scenarios. I found it was easier observing the preschool children because they use a lot of language and they can come up with anything. So try to imagine what a preschool child might say during each scenario.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

odinlash

Post by odinlash » Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Thankyou so much for your ideas, i have a 3 and a half year old and that helps alot. Some assessment questions can be difficult. I only get 3 hours class time a week and there isnt much chance to ask teachers for any help

cheers :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 04, 2011 9:24 pm

No worries... I'm more than happy to help! You definitely have the advantage because of your child :). Good idea to use your 3 and a half year old to answer some questions in your assignments and you have first hand experience!

:geek: