CHCLEG001

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Noran
Participator
Participator

CHCLEG001

Post by Noran » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:47 am

you are employed as an educator in an early learning center. it is 5:15 pm Friday afternoon and the center closes at 6:00. there are 8 children 3-6 years remaining in care. the other educators tell you that she needs to go home at 5:30 as she has to be at an appointment at 6:00 pm. she asks you not tell anyone as she does not want to be in trouble.
how would you respond ethically to this situation?

- tell her she is breaking the law as she is not complying with staff- children ratios
- report it to the supervisor in charge
- document the conversation

is this correct?

thank you

tilli87

Re: CHCLEG001

Post by tilli87 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I wouldn't think so as ratio allows 1-10 for that age group so she wouldn't be breaking the law. In my centre though for safety reasons there needs to be 2 educators on the open and closing shift at all times so it might come down to the policies and procedures of the centre. I would inform the other educator that i wasn't comfortable working on my own and that due to policies and procedures she will have to stay, but offer her a chance to make a phone call and try and change the appointment time. This shows you're understanding and helful. I'd only inform the supervisor if she didn't take what you've said on board and left anyway.

Noran
Participator
Participator

Post by Noran » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm

anyone?

Noran
Participator
Participator

Post by Noran » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks!