CHCFC506A Procedure to support Child Skills in their own language

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Kristal

CHCFC506A Procedure to support Child Skills in their own language

Post by Kristal » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi

Can anyone please give me some suggestions for the following

You have just been appointed team leader and have been asked by the centre to write and present a procedure for how carers should support a child's skills in their own language. the procedure should include the following
- three bilingual practices a carer can use to support a child to maintain their first language
- resond with respect to a child's language, with specific examples,
- intergrate materials in the child's language experiences (provide an example for each age group: infant, toddler and preschooler),
- why there is a policy at the centre to encourage parents to maintain their own language and participate in activities with the children,
- what key words and phrases are (with examples) and how knowing them can help carers support the use of the child's home language.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Daggy

MODULE: CHCFC506A Foster Children's language and communication Development

Lorina

Re: CHCFC506A Procedure to support Child Skills in their own language

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Daggy,

I am going to provide you with some suggestions you can use on how to support a bilingual child. Have a read through the points and you should be able to get an idea of what is required to answer your question.

1) Reflect on your own feelings about languages, culture, identity and education.

2) Develop a positive and supportive approach to bilingualism in your program and with all families.

3) Find out about every child’s language and culture.

4)Convey respect and interest in pronouncing names properly (if you don't know how then ask).

5) Make a list of and learn useful survival words.

6) Collect bilingual resources and integrate their use into the program on a daily basis.

7) Represent and use children’s languages and literacy's in a range of written, oral and digital forms.

8) Employ bilingual staff to speak in the home languages of the children.

9) Encourage staff who speak other languages to use them (with each other, children and families).

10) Model, display and use different languages consistently throughout the day.

11) Encourage and support bilingual children to play and learn together in their languages.

Feel free to let me know if you need anymore info,

:geek:,
L.A

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:05 am

Hi L.A

THank you so much!

Daggy

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:55 am

Whenever I have had a bilingual child in my class I ask parents to give me a list of common phrases/words in their language so I can use it with the child, I also ask them to try and bring in some music from their country so i can incorporate that into our music sessions
I have also found it useful to always get as much info from the parents about their culture etc
Throughout my time as a GL I have even with no bilingual kids in the class done counting to 5 in different languages, exposed children to world music and taught children how to say hello & some simple things in other langauges (usually the language of the theme country of the term)
It is amazing how quickly children pick up anything
Not language related, but kind of ...last Xmas I got my children do to "i can sing a rainbow" but they did it in sign language first and then sang and signed it...it was amazing and the parents were in tears seeing little 2.5 - 4 yr olds signing & them understanding what and why sign language is used
I cried a bit too, my babies were so amazing ...sorry i am such a sook! lol