Streaker Problem

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
NicholasG

Streaker Problem

Post by NicholasG » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi,

I searched for this but surprisingly couldn't find anything. I have just started working at a new centre (casual, work at a few centres) and have come across children stripping off for the first time. I'll give some context...

The two streakers are both toddlers, boys, in the same room. One is in nappies and the other in undies but they don't strip off until they get outside. They have been doing this for a while so had nothing to do with a new educator (me.) One of the toddlers thinks it's a bit of a game and will run and let the educator catch them (even me) and carry them off for assistance. The other gets visibly upset if any educator gets near him and will carry his clothes around for a while until he finds a spot to sit. He will then sit in the spot for a while and eventually get dressed himself, sometimes he will sit near an educator and do this.

The centre has a fairly decent fence for privacy, a good yard with lots of places to hide and some good educators. What is the best strategy to discourage 'streaking'? Is letting the child just relax and sort it out himself OK? Is it OK to make a game out of catching the child that wants to be chased? My feelings are that it probably should be discouraged as we can't behave like that in society, I'm concerned if we let it go it will influence other children to do the same. At this stage I am letting it go as per what I see other educators that know the children better are doing. I'm sure this isn't the first time children have stripped off or removed their nappies so any strategies or tips would be great.

Thanks for sharing any experiences of the same or advice in advance.

tmac13

Re: Streaker Problem

Post by tmac13 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 pm

This is a difficult situation. I've encountered it myself and there is no real 'solution'. My one suggestion would be to give some power to the children, e.g. "Would you like to choose a different outfit to wear?", "Would you like to walk the stairs up to the change table or would you like me to pick you up?" "Would you like to wear some undies over your nappy?"

Marissasam

Re: Streaker Problem

Post by Marissasam » Fri May 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Thank you for sharing!