Extremely Aggressive Child

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Alerie

Extremely Aggressive Child

Post by Alerie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 pm

I am asking something based on what I have seen from a child that goes to the extreme-extreme end of aggressive behaviour. Firstly, the child tries to claw other children in the face (whatever the set-off), refuses to toilet to the point that every day the child will poo in their pants and will try to bite, claw, scratch staff when they ask her to go and so far hasn't been responding with any positive strategies/rewards for going to the toilet. From what I have seen, the other educators are doing the best they can, trying out every strategy and behaviour management they can. Going over 3 weeks of major incidences, when a staff member tried to talk to the child on their level, she raked her nails over the staff members face so badly there were deep red cuts flowing from forehead to bottom cheek. She bit a child hard enough to draw blood (this sounds bad, but we had to hold her nose to pry her off the other child. She literally just sunk her teeth into the other child's flesh) and the other day as an educator asked her not to swing around the large wooden blocks, she smacked the wooden block into the educator's face on purpose and broke their nose. Because her parents are blaming us usually and hardly have done anything to address this behaviour (though are quiet after the last incident), can they legally be told for the safety of the children and staff, that their child cannot attend the centre?

Lorina

Re: Extremely Aggressive Child

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:46 pm

This is extremely serious and has to be dealt with by external services that can help you, staff and the family. Since this child seems to be endangering the children and the staff (by breaking their nose!!!), yes the family can be removed from the centre because the child is harmful towards everyone! However, I would recommend that before you do that you should maybe contact Inclusion Support or Early Childhood Intervention Australia that will be able to guide you on the best way to manage this child so they can continue on at your centre. Even though this child may move onto another centre, the behaviour probably won't stop so you need to try and do everything you can to help this child. The parents should be called in for a parent meeting and explained the seriousness of their child's behaviour and that you will need to call in a speciality service to try and manage the behaviour. The director and the room leader needs to explain the incidences that have taken place with the child and that the worse case scenario is that you will have to ask the family to leave...

Has the Director spoken to the family as yet?

:geek:,
Lorina

Alerie

Post by Alerie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:09 pm

They are going to have a meeting from what I have heard and have made a report to DOCS actually because the behaviour is so abnormal. Honesty though, it isn't the child's fault. Such behaviour has been learned from somewhere (home most likely) and not being curbed or something violence is happening at home. I suspect domestic violence from the type of language coming out of the child's mouth so we will see how it goes from there.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:28 pm

You're right it's not the child's fault and that's why you have to you have to try and support the child as best as possible. Reporting to DOCS is your choice... It doesn't necessarily mean that the child is being "abused" as such as the behaviour could be from anywhere especially from watching TV. Even a simple cartoon such as Tom and Jerry can cause a child to act out... Also sometimes parents are helpless and don't know what to do to try and get the misbehaviour to stop. They know what's happening but if your child doesn't listen to you what are your options? They could be just as helpless as you all feel when you try and stop it. Anyway, it's good to hear that a meeting is taking place so let's see how that goes!

:geek:,
Lorina