Children run away when I try to discipline them

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
mirrorreflex
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Children run away when I try to discipline them

Post by mirrorreflex » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello,

Just started my new job. And I have three particular children in my class who I find very challenging. Some of them are physically aggressive to other children and to myself.

For example, one of the children will either run away when I try to discipline them/ get them to pack up or try to hit me when I try to discipline them.
I have noticed that if I try to follow them they when they run away from me they seem to see it as a game.

Any advice?

Lorina

Re: Children run away when I try to discipline them

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:08 pm

How do other Educators handle these children?

No child should hit an Educator that's for sure and I understand that it can be very frustrating to having to deal with it.

You need to be consistent and firm when dealing with the behaviour because the children need to know that they can't run all over you. Try and set limits and you have to follow through on these limits.

For example, when asking a child to pack away toys and they refuse to do so - get down on their level and explain to them - "we need to pack away the toys so we don't trip over them, let's see who can pick up the most pieces, ready set go".

If the child packs aways, offer a lot of positive encouragement - "thanks so much you're a great helper".

If a child continues to refuse - add a consequence - "if you don't help pack away, then you won't be able to play with this afternoon".

Here are a few more helpful tips:

Behaviour Management In Childcare

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina

mirrorreflex
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by mirrorreflex » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Thanks I've been trying to be consistent. It has gotten a bit better with working with children one to one. The issue I have found however now is when multiple children are acting up at the same time.

For example, I was trying to do group time and some children kept on sitting in silly positions, bringing things to the mat when I have told them not to and then when I take the toy away they have crying temper tantrums. Also some children like wandering off when I've got them seated for group time.

The frustrating thing is that because it's a small Centre there are large periods of time when I am alone, so I can't really ask another educator to bring children that have decided to walk away back to the mat and sometimes have to take them myself back to the mat because they don't listen when being called.

The other educators are from what I've seen using similar approaches to me. However, the children actually listen to them more frequently.

mirrorreflex
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by mirrorreflex » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi,

I'm bumping up the post to see if I can get a reply.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:10 pm

In regards to group time if the children are mucking around maybe they are not interested or are not being engaged in what you are teaching them? Maybe you need to change your group time to include other activities, it doesn't have to be sitting and reading a story and singing songs... it could be dancing, group games, using puppets to tell a story, science experiments etc. Anything you want really to keep the children engaged.

Here are some more ideas:

Group Time With Children

In regards to getting children to you, have a read through these strategies:

Getting Children To Listen To You Throughout The Day

You may also need to come up with a sticker system/stamp - where you can reward a child for their behaviour in the afternoon etc. It may work for some children to have tangible items such as a sticker or a stamp to encourage their behaviour.

Try these and see how you go!

Lorina

mirrorreflex
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by mirrorreflex » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:16 am

I have tried the getting them to look me in the eye thing, but the issue I have is that for the children I find challenging when they see me approaching they run off. I'm trying to avoid chasing after them or physically grabbing them to force them to look at me, because I know that is considered to be not good practice. But I'm really stuck with how to be able to talk to them 1 to 1.

I have also tried the approach you mentioned where you try to explain the consequences of not doing something like packing up e.g. another child might injure themselves or we might fall on the toys, but I get a response like "I don't care" from the child.

Also consequences work in some situations e.g. if they haven't packed up then they can't continue playing with the new activity they are playing with because it will be removed. However, I am having difficulty with thinking of a consequence for when they decide to run around the room. Unlike if they're playing with a toy I can't exactly remove anything to stop them running. It's also been raining quite a bit where I am so we can't go out a lot of the time for them to burn off energy.

If anyone has any suggestions I would much appreciate it.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Are the activities set up maybe a bit boring for them? That's why they continue running around the room?

Have you asked them what they would like to do while inside? Maybe getting them to choose an activity to get themselves involved in?

If too many children are running around, you can say "freeze" and see if they respond to that... get them together and have an impromptu dance session or music and movement to burn off energy.

A consequence of running around the room, they have to sit quietly on the book mat, look through a book and then find another activity to do.

I know it's frustrating but makes sure you are consistent and keep changing the activities, make sure they are stimulating and exciting for the children.

Lorina

davidoyama

Post by davidoyama » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:57 pm

Children take time to understand things and according to age, they understood their own. Instead of teaching them to show them a move based on discipline.

mirrorreflex
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by mirrorreflex » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 am

Whenever I feel like I am beginning to get control of my group, new children keep on entering the room.

In addition to those children I previously mentioned I now have two other children who I suspect have additional needs. Both are limited with their vocabulary. One of them hits over the smallest things, like having to wait to be served lunch. The other child may random scream throughout the day.

I also have another child now who does not speak English and keeps on trying to escape into the hallways, go outside when I am inside and video versa.

Since the beginning of the year I still have been unable to get additional support.

I think boredom has a large part to play because the rooms are very small and we rarely have new resources at the centre. Also I feel like many of the children are just 'over it's because they have been attending since they are babies.

Do you have any strategies in particular for children with special needs or ESL?

AMH

Post by AMH » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:04 pm

I wouldn't refer to children as special needs unless there's a diagnosis. It could be any number of things before it being special needs so that's a huge assumption to make. If your centre isn't giving you the additional help, then I would start exploring possible funding options from outside agencies such as inclusion support agencies. These type of agencies will come into your centre at no cost to observe any children that have barriers to inclusion, such as presenting with challenging behaviours or ESL. Note you do need the parents consent for this to happen. They can give you strategies and help the centre put together an inclusion plan which you need in order to access funding. Funding might come in the form of an additional educator for when the children are at the centre. It takes time to make these things happen so please keep on pushing for more help with your centre director. You are the advocate for all of the children in your room and it sounds like you're struggling to give them the best care you can which happens when you yourself do not have enough support.

Sunny Miller

Post by Sunny Miller » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:47 am

really helpful tips. thanks

Marissasam

Post by Marissasam » Fri May 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Thank you for sharing!