child bitting please help me

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sue073

child bitting please help me

Post by sue073 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:08 am

good morning
this is a child related question and educator. more help question

Last week I had a child bite another child while in my care.
the bites was numerous and very serious injuries
the child was bitten number of time within the face area

I have been working at the centre under 2 weeks and know no backgrounds to the children. I had asked for for information and given limited.
the yard in which i was working or supervising was like a L shape.
a staff member had left me in the yard with about 11 children under the age of 2.5
4 were 2-2.5
6 were 15m - 2 y
1 under 15m
I was totally over ratio.
I believe there should have been 3 staff in the yard. however they are stating under the roof ratio. this ratio still confuses me.
staff member called me over to the fence to talk to me about the ratio.
I was standing at the fence and yes I could not see the children around the corner. this was bad judgement on my behalf and I should have known better.
I heard a child cry and I ran around the corner to find another child ontop of a child. I called out for top child to get off and as I ran to the child aid I notice the younger child covered in bite marks. I rescued the child and called out for help from staff. staff member retrieved the child and took child to apply first aid.

in my emotional reaction to this, I gave notice to resign from working as I feel I have no right to work with children again for not doing my job properly.
I rang the department the next day and informed them of what had happen I have yet to have someone call me back in regards to this matter.
I feel I did not do my job and protect this child from harm and I should be reprimanded
I have an interview with the management company today about this.

how do you get past something like this and continue working. how do I move forward from this.
could someone please help me. shed some light on over the roof ratio.
where do I stand

Lorina

Re: child bitting please help me

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 am

Hi Sue,

I'm sorry to hear about this! That's such extreme measures you took over a child biting another child. Some times accidents happen while we work with the children and at times the fault can be ours. The only thing you can really do is learn from your mistakes and make sure that it doesn't happen again. You're only human after all! Yes, it's normal to feel bad and guilty about what happened but besides a few bites nothing more serious occurred! Children have a tendency to bite and now you are aware that there is a biter within the group you need to take the right measures so the biting child doesn't bite again. So, to do this, you will need to be very watchful of the biting child be with them all the time and keep an eye on them. I don't think it's necessary for you to resign from work and ring the department over this issue. This is such a minor issue and because of this it doesn't mean you shouldn't work with children again...

I really hope you reconsidered and continue working with children. Just be more watchful...

Everything will be alright!

:geek:,
Lorina

sue073

Post by sue073 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Morning Lorina

after my meeting I found out that the parent has removed her children form the centre. I have been put on paid investigation for the rest of the week. I did retract my resignation and director was happy for my return. counselling has been offered and I have requested for a mirror to be placed within the corner of the yard. others have to be interviewed before I find out the outcome and some training session.
I still feel guilty however have started eating again as some of the stress has been lifted. I also found out the the bitter may have vocal problems and this maybe the reason behind it. yes I know that the children are the most important in this and I have been told that I need to speak up. sometimes its hard in a new workplace. but Im going back strong and eyes wide open. I will be treating all children as if they are bitters I believe this is what I have learnt from this.
thank you for you reply.
the guilt of this happening in my care is hard to deal with.
I know time will heal.
the support I have received from the director and management company has really helped plus I will be taking the counselling tomorrow
thanks
Sue

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Sue,
I feel awful for you, I know how terrible we all feel when something happens to any child in our care.
I also had a biting incident last week. The 2x 2year old's had just "made up" after a pushing incident, they hugged, held hands and were happy walking towards the toys in my FDC room. I picked a lunch bag up from my sign in table, turned my back and walked 3 meters to the kitchen and a blood curdling scream. One of the 2 year old's bit the other on the top back of the arm. I felt sick to my stomach and I have been doing this for 17 years. The biters Mum also felt bad, the bitees Mum called me that night just to let me know that she knows these things happen, but it still doesn't make you feel any better. I think you were put into a terrible and wrong situation with that many children of those ages. But like you have done we all learn from these incidents and I will make sure that one of my 2 year old's are always at my side "helping me".
The fact that you care so much about what happened shows how much you should be in this industry.
All the best
Linsaa fdc :wave:

sue073

Post by sue073 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:21 am

morning all
update on the situation
the support I thought I have was in fact untrue. I have been told that my retraction of my resignation letter will not be accepted and finished up at the centre on thursday. over the phone the support turned and the blame has been pushed back onto me. which I found very upsetting.
however one door closed and another opens. I need to learn from this and I need to move on from this even tho it is upsetting.
fdc has crossed my mind as I feel a centre may not be for me anymore. looking into this option
but in saying that I have an interview in my local area this week so fingers crossed I can pick up the opportunity to move forward.
I am still in two mind to contact the parent of the child as I feel she has the right to say what she need to say. but with no contact details this is hard. I don't what to feel like I have moved forward and forgot cause I haven't. the centre wouldnt give me any information about the child when I asked. all I got was "she is emotional ok"
what do you think my next step should be? I am a little thrown back by the outcome.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi Sue073,

What an awful situation to be in.
Try and hang in there, remember you have to live with what ever you decide to do from here on.
If in doubt go with what your gut tells you to do.....it's usually right :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:13 am

Hi Sue,

How are you holding up? I am sadden to hear that your centre turned the tables on you. At the beginning they seemed very supportive and in the end they were no help at all. Family Day Care is a great option and even though you left your centre under upsetting circumstances it seems like it has happened for a reason...

Did you ever contact the family? If you do all you can do is offer your sincere apologies and show them that you are sorry for what happened... Maybe you could wait until the parent arrives at the centre to talk to them about what happened...

Hope you're in a better place now,

:geek:,
Lorina

smippy
Helper
Helper

Post by smippy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Have just been reading this thread.I too feel sorry for Sue.Was Sue left alone with all these children which sounds to me like itvwas over quota in respects to staff child ratios.Also given the fact that she had been at the centre for two weeks the support regardless of Sue's experience in the industry should have been there.why do centres throw new people in the deep end and adopt this sink or swim mentality and when something goes wrong they turn on people.My advice to Sue for what it is worth as I don't know her is to move on and find a centre that will support you when things are going right and more importantly when they go wrong.hope you stay in the childcare industry.