Centre Manager Pay Rate

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Marcel

Centre Manager Pay Rate

Post by Marcel » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:40 pm

Hi
Just wondering about my pay rate and whether I'm getting paid the right amount.
I'm currently a Centre Manager and Ed Leader of 100 place private centre.

I have around 15 years expereince and 4 yeears experience as manager. I'm a Diploma trained educator.

Currently I'm getting $35ph plus $100 a week for Ed Leader.

Fair work is a bit vague on what Centre Mangers should get and say it varies.

I do most of the running of the centre except costings of the centres, final submission of pays (I submit hours) otherwise I do all other duties a director would do but technically not classed a director but I am the day to day centre manager.

Lorina

Re: Centre Manager Pay Rate

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:27 pm

Hi!

As per the Children's Services Award, in my opinion, you would be considered the Assistant Director of the service. An assistant director starts at Level 5 of the Children's Services Award. The highest pay rate as per the Award is $33.18/per hour. Since you are getting $35/per hour you are getting above award wages.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:29 pm

Also, for the Ed Leader role, it's approx $80/per week, you said you're getting $100. You're lucky your centre is paying above award rates for both roles.

Lorina

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:41 pm

Thankyou,
What is the different between Level 5 and 6?

Having a look at all the duties listed as Level 6 (https://aussiechildcarenetwork.com.au/a ... care-wages)
the only thing I don't undertake is the Annual Budget and process pays into thr bank as that goes to the Head Office (large multi centre organisation)

Otherwise I'm in charge with everything else at my centre and appointed responsible person day to day.
Last edited by Marcel on Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:54 pm

Level 6 is the Director of the centre. I first thought you would be on Level 6, but you mentioned you weren't the Director of the service so you would be on Level 5.

Lorina

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:05 pm

My initial post may have been poorly worded.

I wasn't sure if there was different between "Centre manager/Centre Director" or the Terms where interchangeable.

My understanding is I'm getting paid level 5.3 but I am the sole elected responsible person for running of the centre on a day to day basis with a 2ic below me.

I believe I should be paid under Level 6 but there are 2 duties I don't undertake as the head office/pay roll undertake these e.g Submitting pays to banks and Annual Budget.

Otherwise I undertake all the below duties.

Responsible for the overall management and administration of the service

Supervise the implementation of developmentally appropriate programs for children.

Recruit staff in accordance with relevant regulations.
Maintain day-to-day accounts and handle all administrative matters.

Ensure that the centre or service adheres to all relevant regulations and statutory requirements.

Ensure that the centre or service meets or exceeds quality assurance requirements.

Liaise with families and outside agencies.

Liaise with management committees as appropriate.

Provide professional leadership and development to staff.

Develop and maintain policies and procedures for the centre or service.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:13 pm

Hi!

Thanks for clarifying!

If you have a 2IC below you then yes, you are considered to be the Director of the Service and yes you should be paid at Level 6.7 since your service is licensed for 100 places. At Level 6.7 your minimum hourly wage is $40.86/per hour.

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:18 pm

If management has a hard time to accept your request for a pay rise the next step would be is to get a copy of the Children's Services Award and show them. If they still not accepting, you can take the matter up with Fair Work and they will help you resolve it.

Lorina

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:22 pm

Thankyou very much for the guidance and help. It's much appreciated it.

I previously requested a pay rise I was on $33.18 an hour plus Ed Leader allowance. As I manager up to 30 staff and with 100 place allowance.

I asked for the higher rate as believed I should be paid at level 6 as you mentioned.

They only raised my rate to $35ph and $100 Ed Leader allowance as "that's what other "supervisors" get".

I felt i was getting underpaid but didn't want to risk my employment

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:03 pm

You are running a huge centre. It's not based on what other "supervisors" get, it's based on how many places are in your centre. A director who works in a 20-place centre is going to get a little less than a director in a 100-place centre for example. I hope you get what you deserve.

Please let me know if you are having issues and I will go through the next steps with you.

Lorina