In The Kitchen For 6 Months Of Cert 3 Traineeship

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Han95

In The Kitchen For 6 Months Of Cert 3 Traineeship

Post by Han95 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi

I'm starting a traineeship in child care in January and I just received my time table for the first 6 months of next year and I'm in the kitchen from 10am till 6pm everyday, is it right that I'm going to be working in the kitchen everyday for the first half of my traineeship, i feel that I'm doing my traineeship to learn to care for kids and not be cooking in the kitchen everyday

Lorina

Re: In the kitchen 1st 6minths of traineeship

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi There,

That shouldn't be the case! As a trainee you will need to be trained in working with the children not working in the kitchen. It will be very difficult for you to do your assignments and gain an understanding of what is required to interact with the children etc, if you're in the kitchen. You definitely shouldn't be working in the kitchen and I think it's very unfair that you've been put there! You need to get this issue sorted because you are a childcare trainee not a cooking trainee!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: In The Kitchen For 6 Months Of Cert 3 Traineeship

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Here is some information on the employers responsibilities in regards to your traineeship:
Roles and responsibilities
Apprenticeships and traineeships in NSW are administered under the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001.

What are my responsibilities as an employer?
Ensure that all required workplace checks are undertaken prior to the employment of an apprentice or trainee e.g. working with children, criminal record checks, citizenship requirements.

As an employer of an apprentice or trainee you must provide your apprentice or trainee with:

- every opportunity to learn the skills and acquire the knowledge of the trade or traineeship
- a suitably qualified or appropriately experienced person to facilitate the training and supervise the apprentice / trainee in the workplace
- access to structured on and/or off-the-job training
- time off work with pay to undertake training and assessment delivered by the supervising Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
- a safe working environment
- a work environment free from any form of harassment
- other benefits specified in the training agreement or industrial arrangement (e.g. a tool allowance).

You are responsible for ensuring that the apprentice or trainee has access to the full range of work required to develop the skills and industry knowledge they need on the job. You also need to observe their progress and confirm that they are developing the required skills and knowledge by liaising regularly with the RTO. To ensure this, there are various records which must be maintained by either the employer or the apprentice or trainee. Depending on the nature of the apprenticeship or traineeship, these records include:

- progress card (for trainee apprentices only)
- a competency record book for trainees and some apprentices
- an attendance card which your Registered Training Organisation (RTO) may provide to confirm regular attendance at off-the-job training.
- The training advisors at the nearest State Training Services regional offices can provide further information.

Ref: Traineeships NSW

I'm not too sure how your employer is supposed to uphold their responsibilities of training you when you're stuck in the kitchen...

:geek:,
Lorina