Getting a traineeship

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dogmum12

Getting a traineeship

Post by dogmum12 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:22 am

Hi there,
I’m considering a career change into child care... I’ve been an RN working in paediatrics for 6.5 years now.
I’m looking at making the change because I don’t want to do shift work any longer for some personal reasons (that being overnight shifts and a lot of weekends).

I’d like some advice on how to find a traineeship; do most people just visit child care centres and leave a CV or ask to speak with the manager?
I’ve only ever seen traineeships through employment centres like Tursa etc

Secondly, with a traineeship are the TAFE fees paid for by the centre? $9000 seems like a lot of money to do the Cert 3 when my entire bachelor degree only cost $12500! Is there a way to get some sort of rebate by doing a traineeship?

Many thanks for advice.

Lorina

Re: Getting a traineeship

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:11 pm

HI!

Welcome to the industry! You can usually find traineeships for childcare on job sites online such as seek, careerone etc. Also, they may be advertised in your local paper.

There is no harm phoning up and speaking to the Director and asking if there are any available traineeships as well and showing your interest. So, these are a couple of ways to go about it.

When completing a traineeship, it is paid for by the centre however you will need to pay an annual tuition fee depending on the course provider.

Here is some more information:

Traineeship Wages and Conditions

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina