Do part-time traineeships exist?

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Hopeful

Do part-time traineeships exist?

Post by Hopeful » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi all

I'm a bit uncertain as to the path I should take as I embark on starting work in childcare. I would love to get a traineeship but I have a commitment i can't get out of which takes up one and a half day a week until this July. I only see full time traineeships advertised, for where I live, Newcastle, on Seek. Does anyone know if part time ones exist?

So an alterate plan is to commence cert 3 by oten and do it quite quickly and finish by July when I can then apply for full time child are jobs with the completed cert. I won't though have much practical experience. And feel I may be ant a disadvantage in the job market: on seek at the moment there are a lot of jobs for traineeship but almost none for straight cert 3 graduates. Also, I'm keen for hands on practical learning sooner rather than later like traineeships, verse straight cert 3 provides.

Hence my dilemma. Is there any specific reason traineeships are full time? Perhaps I could apple for those traineeships currently advertised and request I do it part time? Or should I be proactive and go in person to centers and ask about the option of a part time traineeships.

Any suggestions for me??? Thanks so much. I've love reading everything people post.

Lorina

Re: Do part-time traineeships exist?

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:50 am

Whether you complete your cert 3 as a traineeship or through distance learning, online etc. you will still need to go on work placement to cover the practical components of the qualification. A traineeship is probably the best way to start because you gain experience and you also have a job as well so it goes together hand in hand... As far as I know traineeships are only full time however when you begin applying during the interview just mention your current situation and that you would like o do a part time traineeship if possible until your commitments are over..

Good Luck!

:geek:,
L.A

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks Lorina. I think I'll try for a part-time traineeship - ill phone the full time traineeships currently advertised, and see if they'll accept an application from someone who can initially only do it part time and see what sort of responses I get... It would definitely be my preference.

If I don't have luck with finding part time traineeships, I'll do the cert 3 by itself and try to get some experience in addition to the required work placement: the options for experience I can think of would be casual work with a childcare as an unqualified assistant undertaking their cert- have people heard of many centres having casual positions?- I don't see any on seek ATM. Or maybe through a job agency? Anyone know any job agency I could start with in Newcastle- I haven't had any familiarity with job agencies before!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:45 am

I'm in Sydney and there are plenty of casual positions available in childcare. The only downside of being casual is that you don't have a set amount of days that you will be working. Sometimes you may only work once or twice a week but then thee are times that you will be required more frequently. Going through a job agency I guess is the better option because they have your details and when they require you they will contact you for casual work. Getting casual work depends on your qualification, the position the centre is wanting to fill for the day and the areas you're willing to travel to. Also, if you build a good rapport with centres you will be offered more work etc. even though you are only requiring a casual position you will still need to go for a job interview at the agency for them to determine if you're suitable. Don't worry they are very flexible and are very supportive(the ones I've been through). You could even contact them and tell them you're after a part time traineeship and they may be able to help you find one...

I did some Googling and I found these agencies which you can contact:

http://www.dialanangel.com/early-childh ... department
http://www.careforkids.com.au/search/ar ... areaID=222

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:09 pm

That certainly helps. Ta