Confidentiality and work stress

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Bensos
Participator
Participator

Confidentiality and work stress

Post by Bensos » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:19 pm

I'm going to try and be as vague with details as possible, but would appreciate feedback from anyone who has had a similar experience as I'm really struggling. I had to intervene with a staff member and child, it was very serious and is under investigation.

During interviews with supervisors I have been made to feel responsible, like the complaint and official proceedings are because I reported it. I work in the same room as the staff member involved. Any time I ask a question, it's ignored, if I answer a question I am blanked and the question is repeated. It's incredibly uncomfortable.

I stand by what I did, I was absolutely right. But I feel incredibly stressed and guilty and we are only at the start of proceedings. I've barely slept since the incident, keep getting chest pains (anxiety), keep crying, and am seriously considering either quitting or seeing if my doctor will sign me off from stress. But also feel this is a cop out.

There's a work support line I can call for free, but it's not anonymous, I have to give all my employee details and it's logged.

I'm stuck for what to do. I have been given no indication big how long the process takes, and genuinely feel like I'm going to come out of all if this really badly.

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Confidentiality and work stress

Post by Butterflyblue » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 pm

Hi Bensos,

Not your fault if something happens and you report it. All support services should be anonymous, most are outsourced to a 3rd party to ensure complete privacy nowadays. Seems like your employer is dodgy in several ways.

You have a few options but I would strongly recommend the following:
It sounds like you are now in a hostile workplace where you are being targeted for doing nothing wrong and this is directly impacting your physical and mental health and ability to work
Go to your doctor, tell them what you have mentioned above and ask for a mental health care plan, say you need some time off. Do some counselling, rest and get yourself into a more postive place, file a work cover claim your GP can help with the process - your care plan should qualify you for work cover
Work cover gives you rights and time to reconsider your next step.

It's not a cop out to take time off especially if its because of what you have described.

If you haven't already start recording everything that happens at work in a diary including what people say, do, how you feel etc

Consider looking for different opportunities if you feel this is no longer the type of environment you wish to be apart of. There's no need to make quick choices but there is no shame in moving on if need be.

If you go to any conversation (formal meeting or not) related to the incident or investigation take someone who is seperate to your place of work as a support individual and witness. If asked to discuss it without prior agreement about the time/place politely decline and remember to get everything in writing, make copies and keep in a safe place.

Other options include complaining to management and or HR, requesting not to work with that educator in order to work in a safe environment as it seems communication is severely impacted and taking leave if you can.

Is it a investigation by the authorities and company or one (understand if you can't say)

Remember you can contact the regulatory authority yourself if need be.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions please ask ;)

Paparazzi555

Post by Paparazzi555 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:04 am

Hello there, I have much stress too. I bought a fitness bracelet that shows a stress level and will try to monitor that in real time.

Bensos
Participator
Participator

Post by Bensos » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:26 am

Hi butterflyblue

Yes it's going through official channels, it's not just an internal investigation.

The staff member in question has been put on a float shift so they are covering breaks and lunches, so they are occasionally in my room but only for.shortbperiods of time and we are always busy so it's manageable.

I've started keeping notes, not just the work stuff but also my sleep, any anxiety etc so.inhave a record to show my doctor.

Thank you for your advice
X

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:38 pm

Yeah I agree with the points made by Butterfly Blue.

I'm really sorry that you are going through a hard time making.

I really suggest that you talk to someone about what's happening. Lay it all off your chest...it could be a friend, a family member, your partner anyone that you can vent too... you just need to clear your head get out all your thoughts and venting will help! From personal experience, the more you try to deal with it by yourself the worst it's going to get as you begin to doubt your actions and question whether it was worth it...

You are very brave to report the incident and you did your duty of care to the child involved. I believe you were at the right place at the right time as the one to witness it and step forward to make a complaint. So, you absolutely did the right thing!!!

Try not to take anything personally... you did the right thing... the Educator involved is obviously going to give you the cold shoulder since you made the report. If they did t do anything wrong then they shouldn't be too worried about it...

I'm available if you need someone to vent too and any information shared will always remain confidential between us.. you can contact me directly on the Aussie Childcare Network Facebook page.

Once this is all over then it will be much easier for you but in the meantime hold your head up high and be confident!

:geek:,
Lorina

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:57 pm

Also don't be afraid to have some 'me' time.
Self care is so important for educators :)

JillianMccarthy

Post by JillianMccarthy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:37 am

Problems at work are a fairly common phenomenon faced by almost everyone. In such situations, it is necessary to think adequately and choose the best option to maintain a favorable relationship. Any situation can provoke stress, which turns into anxiety and depression. I advise you to visit a psychologist. When receiving psychological help, the relationship between the psychologist and the patient plays the greatest role. Why do you think it takes people a long time to decide to see a psychologist? Most likely, they are not ready to share their personal problems with a stranger.

NewmanBenjamIn

Post by NewmanBenjamIn » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:57 am

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time. It sounds like the situation you've described is causing you a lot of stress and anxiety. It's important to remember that you did the right thing by reporting the incident, and it's not fair that you're being made to feel responsible for the complaint and official proceedings.