Unhappy in industry

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
law92
Helper
Helper

Unhappy in industry

Post by law92 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:31 am

Hi I don't really know where to start...I've been working at a centre for a few months as a group leader and I'm starting to have doubts about whether this is the right industry for me. There are some parts of the job that I do enjoy, but other parts really stress me out and I go home at the end of every day flat out exhausted. It's so bad that I can't even really think straight by the time Friday comes around. To put this into context, I have depression and anxiety which I take medication for so I am more highly strung than most people and more sensitive than most people. I just don't have the energy to really be enthusiastic about the job- it's a struggle just to get through each day. On top of all this, the acting director is being really passive aggressive to me. For example, I arrived at work at the same time as the director the other day and she was inputting the front door code and I said,oh do we have a new code. and she replied, yeah did't you read the email? then today she said she was going to email me about something then said oh you probably wouldn't have gotten the email anyway. I don't know. How do you know when to move on from the industry? Or at least step down to an assistant role as the pay isn't that much different.

WILQ

Re: Unhappy in industry

Post by WILQ » Wed May 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi Law92,

I definitely think as with all work places, the centre you work and the people you work with can make a huge difference in your enjoyment levels! However I think only you can really decide whether it is just the work place or the child care industry in general. I would suggest maybe revisiting your initial reasons for getting into childcare in the first place to maybe reignite the passion, this might give you the answer as to whether a new centre may be the answer or a complete career change is in order. And if you have concerns or confusion with things your director is saying, have a talk to her about it and tell her how your feeling. As educators we all go through high moments and low moments and your team mates might be able to help you out and offer you support. The most important thing to remember is to have a job and workplace that is fulfilling and enjoyable because we spend so much of our lives there.
Best of luck and hope you sort things out.