Feeling unsure

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

Am I complete idiot and out of my depth?

Yes
No votes
No
50%
Need more context
50%

Total votes: 2

midget

Feeling unsure

Post by midget » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:55 pm

Context: I started a few months ago as a casual at a local preschool, I am working towards my Certificate III.

I have made a few errors here and there, as not all the policies and procedures were explained to me, but I constantly feel as if I am being carefully watched and monitored, as if they are waiting for me to screw up and it has become quite disheartening and upsetting, to the point that I am doubting myself and feeling ill at ease. They are otherwise very friendly but I just feel like a pain in the butt/nuisance and untrusted, basically less and less a part of the team.

I do not know what to do, it does not feel great, I am already stressed out between my assessments, trouble sleeping, a side hustle, and life in general.

Any advice? I am desperate.

Also is there some way I can repair what damage has been done? Some (one or two) educators I feel do not like me being there (I can sense their frustration with me)?

:( :? :cry: :sweating: :| :oops:

Lorina

Re: Feeling unsure

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:18 pm

Oh man! Yeah I know exactly what you mean.. kinda feel useless and seem more of a burden being there...

We all go through it! I mean we all had to start at the bottom and as you gain experience, you gain confidence and you will start to feel like you belong!

You're a casual which is another thing... as a casual you usually get crappy jobs and educators don't really take the effort to get to know you... it's true.. and yes they will be watching you like a hawk.. comes with the territory!

All I can say is don't take it personally... you have to be tough out there and try not to get too hurt or offended by criticism... just listen and next time do it as they suggest... show initiative and start doing things before even being asked or offer to do cleaning etc.

You will be absolutely fine! It's hard for like the first 6 months... it's all a learning process!

Always wear a smile as soon as you enter that centre door until you leave! You are primarily there for the beautiful children... the rest of it is just "noise"... if you stuff up you stuff up simply try it better next time. No matter what the job you have to start somewhere..

You got this!!

:geek:,
Lorina

midget

Post by midget » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:46 pm

Thank you very much Lorina, some days I just feel like I am not good enough for the job.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:56 pm

Yes I know exactly what you mean... we all have our off days and feel the same way at one point or another...

Lorina

AureaRea

Post by AureaRea » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:35 am

There is nothing wrong if you are feeling unsure of what you are doing in life... and it is perfectly normal. You do not need to worry if you feel like you do not want to do anything. After all, you are a human being. You have the right to feel tired. Life is not always rainbows and unicorns. You won't grow physically, emotionally, and mentally if you did not feel a rollercoaster ride of emotions. So yep, there is nothing wrong if you are feeling unsure. You still years to figure things out. Take your time and do not rush.

midget

Post by midget » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:58 am

Thank you very much, I just worry a lot and feel like a complete idiot a lot of the time. I am trying to do better but I am just so stressed with work and assessments, no real work life balance.

I will try and figure it out.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:19 am

Just checking in... how are you going?

Lorina

AureaRea

Post by AureaRea » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:14 pm

There hasn't been a reply in four days but judging by the time gap with each response, I guess this is normal. Hope there's a reply soon.