Dealing with problems in a childcare environment

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Stephaaane

Dealing with problems in a childcare environment

Post by Stephaaane » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Hello, this is my first post as it's been something I've become very concerned with.

I recently completed my Diploma and have been working in a center for two weeks now as Room assistant. I'm still not very confident, I don't have the years of experience that many other educators have.

In my opinion, there are many problems. One happening just today, I am new to the room (today), the children didn't know me and I was unfamiliar with the routines. Their room leader had been assigned into another room starting today and the new room leader was absent. Although three children were sleeping, I was alone with eight children for well over half an hour (reminder ratio is 1:4). Three girls that "needed" sleep didn't want to and wanted to play outside instead. Ex-room leader walked in to get a few things and stated, "It's crazy in here". I asked one the educators if I could get another educator to assist me in cleaning up and settling the children down, after ten minutes I finally got someone.

Overview: I feel my ideas and beliefs aren't being... listened to? And quite honestly, I'm scared to tell others. But perhaps it's my fault for not looking too deeply into the service and their philosophy.

Stephaaane

Re: Dealing with problems in a childcare environment

Post by Stephaaane » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:23 pm

More backstory
First Week: I originally was accepted as a job as a room leader for another group of children. After two days the educators and director said I wasn't ready to be a room leader. I was moved into another room as Room assistant.

Second Week: In a new room, as a Room assistant. Second day in the room they've mentioned I should cover breaks instead. Quite honestly, I'm disappointed. After two days of being in a new room, trying to become comfortable with a routine and the children I've been told (yet again) I'm not ready.

I feel like i'm not being given a chance. Children struggle with change and I understand that the child's needs are most important (as to me multiple times prior to changing positions). Today I told the educator, give me a few more weeks before we make a decision so soon. To repeat myself, I'm disappointed and very upset.

Vent over.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 am

Hi,
Hopefully Lorina can give you some tips having worked in a centre. Myself I haven't but this kind of story I hear all the time. Why don't these experienced educators take a bit of time and help new ones, its in all of our best interests to work together. I really hope it works for you. If it doesn't look into family day care, you work for yourself and you get the support of coordination staff and others educators and in fdc, we do support each other.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:29 am

The problem is that centres want new staff to be "ready" from the get go! Which is impossible, it doesn't matter how much experience you have or don't have it takes a week or 2 to settle down into a routine, familiarise yourself with the staff, the children and the parents.

As a new staff, you should not have been left alone in the room for starters and you were over ratio so that's another thing that was wrong. That should have sent alarm bells ringing that maybe this centre isn't right. I just don't like how they have swapped and changed your position without really giving you an opportunity to settle down...

It's great to hear that you told the educator to give you a few weeks before deciding but it seems like they have already seemed to make up their mind. Seriously, if they are not going to support you or give you an opportunity don't waste your time for them.

It's so frustrating for me to read and I can only imagine how hard it is for you, facing this yourself! I feel some educators today really take advantage and try to intimidate others. It's ridiculous really but it's happening very often, unfortunately...

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this and I just want to re-assure you that not all educators and centres are like this!

:geek:,
Lorina

Stephaaane

Post by Stephaaane » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Thank you Lorina and Linsa. I really appreciate your feedback :)

The service is just under 1 year old and haven't been assessed as of yet. I think the director and room leaders are going through a lot of stress of "assessments". After a lot of though I realised they were going through stress of trying to make everything perfect quickly before they are assessed. I understand that, but it isn't a good reason.

I'm still reflecting on, "What could I have done better?" In all honesty, what I did then was the best I could do and I should come to terms with it. I'm currently handing in my resume to other services and read through the service's philosophy statements thoroughly! I plan to work a little longer until I get accepted into another job just to ensure I get by with life's necessities. But for now I'm still going to try my best in this center. The children are amazing and most of the staff are very friendly.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:18 pm

It doesn't matter how much stress a director or educators are under it is not an excuse to treat others like crap! Unfortunately, many use stress as an excuse... if they can't handle it then they should leave! You didn't have to do anything better because you seemed to better than the educators at the centre itself! So kudos to you! Good to hear you are planning to find else where because I don't think that particular centre is the right place for you.

Let me know how it goes!

:geek:,
Lorina