A centre that is in severe breach of regulations

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
peaches123

A centre that is in severe breach of regulations

Post by peaches123 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:17 pm

What would you do?
The centre I work in is terrible. Over ratio, deliberately not hiring casual because it's too expensive, lying to parents about care, lying about the children's daily meals ( boss gives them noodles most days because she can't be bothered heating up their food)
Sharing food with All the children from her home and other children's lunch boxes, giving them biscuits and cakes to " shut them up" for a few mins in the high chair. No real program for babies I was told one baby spent half her day sitting in the high chair! I was so upset!
I found rubber bands in the baby's playpen when I came to work ( I do afternoon shift only a few times a week)

A lot of nappy rash, not any person puts cream on the child unless it's their own cream I find this absurd, if you see a baby with a burnt bum isn't it natural to try and soothe it!??

Staff have no qualifications there is only 2 here , me diploma and one cert 3 girl

Taking babies under 14 months out to play in the cold because theirs too many kids to stay inside and not enough staff? Just 2 in the afternoon for approx 23 kids all ages.

Peanuts. I found a large packet of peanuts in the kitchen cupboard obviously the bosses. Wth?

A child that has severe diabetes and need insulin but has had many incidents lately that landed her sick. Staff forgetting to check her sugar levels and treating it. Her father called in very angry that she came home with high level and landed in hospital.

What can I do? I have feedback the parents feel they trust when I'm on The shift they told me so but I've always got to make sure I have good answer ( the boss tells me) to let them know the kids are ok, but they are not?

lishsy

Re: A centre that is in severe breach of regulations

Post by lishsy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi Peaches123
If it was me I would be calling DEC (Department of Education, NSW) on 1300 679 332 and talking to them about your concerns. It seems children are at risk of harm from what you describe about the child with diabetes and it is our duty to ensure children are protected. You shouldn't be the one in that situation of having to be the trusted carer, it is the owner's job.
Hope this helps
Lish

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:34 pm

Call the responsible department. You can make an anonymous complaint

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:55 am

This centre is clearly in breach of duty of care as well as not adhering to the Code of Ethics. How you continually work there and put up with this is beyond me. Forget about being nice, this has to do more with the safety and well being of children within the centre. Please please contact the authorities to report what you have basically told us. It's also a good idea to document and date what you have witnessed or what has been said to you by the owner for your benefit and if possible are you able to provide evidence such as photos? Such as packet of peanuts within the centre, rubber bands in playpen, photo of all children with only 2 staff in the room or even just a photo of the staff attendance record and children sign in/out sheet for the day... Anything that can be used as evidence of what this centre is basically doing wrong!

Please contact the following - Early Childhood Education and Care Department and ring 1800 619 113 for service business practice and compliance issues.

On the Department website I also found information on enforcement and action taken by the department here is the link:

http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/what-we-offer ... nforcement

Please contact the department to tell them about what is happening at the centre...

:geek:,
L.A