Primary Teachers moving across to Childcare

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
teresamc

Primary Teachers moving across to Childcare

Post by teresamc » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:36 pm

I've made the move from teaching primary to teaching a government funded kindergarten in a long day care centre. I started on October 3 so now I am up to Week 7. I must admit to being dismayed at the huge drop in pay given that they wanted someone with a degree in education, I was obviously expecting to work longer hours and to have to work during the school holidays but I didn't expect to have to do so much cleaning in the normal course of a day and to have to move furniture (twice in six weeks our floor was cleaned because the first time it wasn't done correctly - last Monday I arrived to find my entire double sized room all stacked up on two squares of carpet in the middle of the room and I had to get everything shifted during the hours before my shift started). I've also been told that over the Christmas period we have to remove everything from walls and scrub them (as in get up on ladders) and that on the night of our Pre-school Christmas concert we have to empty our room of furniture entirely, move it all back again when the concert is over as well as clean the room and wash up after they have had their "party" in an adjoining room.
Would it be too cheeky to ask some parents to help at various times with this given that we will be working at last 3 extra hours for nothing? I know that some of it is reasonable but all of that moving of furniture does not seem right.
Can I refuse to get on a ladder to scrub down walls? Daily routine cleaning is certainly part of the job but I really feel they should be getting professional cleaners in to tackle things like walls - we have very high ceilings.
Of course there are many positives. The children I'm working with are gorgeous (most of the time) and we have been able to do some really interesting things - clean mud, paper chromatography christmas lights and security footage of Slinky Malinki to name a few. I am enjoying the process and the challenge of the reflection - planning - teaching - assessing - reflection cycle with individual children in small groups. I am also proud of what I can teach my colleagues - doing a "social story with a child and putting it up on windows facing the playground was a highlight, "measuring" with envelopes was another and we've had many discussions about Queensland Beginners Alphabet and how to do it properly.
I'm really keen to link up with and network with other primary teachers who have moved or are moving across to childcare. It was very important that I get a steady job over Christmas and beyond this year because in March I had an accident and sprained both ankles and fractured my tibia. Because I was "only" supply teaching I got very little workers comp and was out of actions for a few months so we are in huge financial strife which is alleviated by my wage coming in but not enough. Are there others out there? I'm seeing lots of job ads for teachers but I don;t know of any that have made the move. It would be really interesting to discuss the bridging course we have to do through TAFE as a condition of our employment. I'm certainly finding study after an 8-10 hour day quite a challenge.

Lorina

Re: Primary Teachers moving across to Childcare

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Tess,

It's been interesting to read your response from a teachers point of view about working in a childcare setting. Many of the points you mentioned are those that we childcare professionals know all to well.. Welcome to Early Childhood..LOL...:giggle:

Now that it's coming up to the end of the year, this is basically when all the madness starts. Organizing christmas concerts, finishing off portfolios and the big one END OF YEAR CLEANING. I also know what it's like to having to move around furniture constantly... Considering that a majority of workers in childcare are woman, we have to do alot of hard labour. I guess it's all part of it!

Would it be too cheeky to ask some parents to help at various times with this given that we will be working at last 3 extra hours for nothing? I know that some of it is reasonable but all of that moving of furniture does not seem right.
Can I refuse to get on a ladder to scrub down walls? Daily routine cleaning is certainly part of the job but I really feel they should be getting professional cleaners in to tackle things like walls - we have very high ceilings.

Cheeky or not... the more people that help, the easier and quicker it gets done! I'm sure that some of dads will helps you out, if they see you moving all the furniture but then again it depends.. Is it really necessary in having to move everything after the concert? Why cant it just be tidied and cleaned and then move everything when you go to work next? I honestly don't understand how some people come up with these silly decisions. Oh I would never get on a ladder.. I hate those things.. I also have to spend days before we close scrubbing and cleaning walls... Why would they pay professional cleaners when it's easier to tell us workers to do it, while we supervise the children (as if we don't have more important things to do!).

Even though there are these issues when working in childcare there are many positives like you mentioned. The relationships you build with each child and their families is like no other and you really made to feel apart of each child's little world. You just can't have that when working at a primary school... Since the new regulations are being established you will start seeing alot more degree qualified childcare professionals... Which I think is a great way to encourage an overall learning environment..

You mentioned that at TAFE there is a bridging course for primary teachers... Did you have to do this course or are you an ECT? How long is this course? Does this mean if you're a qualified primary teacher, you just need to do this TAFE course to work in erly childhood? Sorry for the questions, just trying to find out more...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks for your reply. I thought no one was going to talk to me!
The bridging course is 21 modules and it is a condition of my employment because my teaching qualification was for primary. I'm very concerned about the heavy cleaning and moving furniture. I had an accident earlier this year and sprained both ankles and fractured my tibia so I'ma bit wary of what I can and can't do.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:33 pm

"The bridging course is 21 modules and it is a condition of my employment because my teaching qualification was for primary."

I am curious, if you have a bachelor of teaching in primary and then you do this 21 module bridging course from TAFE to work in early childhood centres, then would you start to receive the pay of an ECT (or) a Diploma trained?? The reason I am asking this is cuz there is a HUGE pay difference between both. I also think it would be unfair if you do not receive an ECT (Early Childhood Teacher) pay even after completing the bridging course along with bachelor of teaching (primary)!

"I'm very concerned about the heavy cleaning and moving furniture."

that sounds so ridiculous. Basic and regular cleaning are acceptable. Even sometimes moving furniture can be acceptable based on the situation. For instance, at times I need to move the furniture around in my room to fix up my room the way I want to and I may ask my assistant to help me out. Sometimes, I may help out my colleagues. So it depends on the situation. Here is a topic discussion that may interest you. Read this: Non Classroom Duties

"I had an accident earlier this year and sprained both ankles and fractured my tibia so I'm a bit wary of what I can and can't do."

You should let your director know about this. You can also provide a doctor cert if needed to support this.

lc_iles

Post by lc_iles » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Sorry for the late reply...

I'm a primary teacher who has just moved into an area of "high saturation" for primary teachers and have pretty much been unemployed all first term! It's insane and I have met so many other casuals like me out here!!! So much for the whole "Do a teaching degree, the're screaming out for teachers" my lecturers fed us with...

None the less, I have just started the INFURIATING process of investigating upgrading (downgrading!?) my primary degree to an ECT.

Who knew it would be this hard!!!???

Today I have been on the phone to three different charming government departments who can't give me a straight answer and simply refer me on to the next desk monkey... It's driving me INSANE!! Believe it or not, your post regarding the TAFE bridging course (you came up in Google) is the first and most informative piece of advice or information I have received all day!!!!

NSW DET, DOCS and ACECQA have all been as useful as a swamp full of slugs and my local university could only suggest I do a Masters of Teaching (Another 2 years full time study and HECS debt) to enable me to switch across. They said that my primary degree didn't really count for ECT and the Masters in turn wouldn't count if I ever went back to Primary... So all in all, 2 more years full time study plus HECS debt for a degree that would allow me to DIRECT a childcare centre (Not actually necessarily teach in one!) and invariably receive worse pay and hours!!!!!!

ACECQA told me my current Degree is not one of their recognised qualifications (I already knew that but merely wanted to know what I could do to make the transition) , suggested I pay them $110 to have my qualifications assessed (to receive that same outcome) then fobbed me off to another mob who were equally as useless!!! As yet, none of them have so much as hinted at this elusive TAFE course... so please TELL ME MORE!!!!!!!

As insane as it sounds... in the interests of securing employment, I can actually handle the pay cut and hour increase!!!! But never did I think it would be this hard!!!!

Worse still? My local pre-school is currently advertising for a teacher in their 3 - 5 years room. IDEAL! But I can't go for the job until I get clarification as to what my current degree entitles me to and what further study I need...

So please, keep me posted how it is all going!!!! 21 modules sounds pretty massive, but never having done TAFE before I have NO idea!!! Plus what pay scale will that qualify you for in the end??? I hear degree paid and diploma paid are vastly different!??

Hope it's all going well!!?? and your furniture situation has improved post Christmas!!!!
(I did work in a Day Care Centre overseas and also had the joy of the cleaning and moving of furniture... so I figure it's just par for the course!!)

Thanks for your post until now!!!!
L

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:30 pm

My whole work situation has massively improved because I am now working in a different Centre. I arrive at work and leave work smiling every day. Only problem is they are paying me $3 per hour less than what I was getting at the last place and I'm still trying to sort out why.
In the bridging course they have an outline of what you already know as a primary teacher and that's automatic credit (RPL) and then the other stuff that is child care specific. I'm not finding it difficult - just time consuming.

lc_iles

Post by lc_iles » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Awesome news that things are better!!! Not so awesome about the pay!!! Hope it gets sorted soon!

As for me, i am still trying to find this elusive bridging course, have located one for QLD registered teachers, but no such luck for NSW.

Good luck!
L

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 pm

It's a shame you can't do the qld one by distance ed!

lc_iles

Post by lc_iles » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:45 pm

I know!!!

With the "National Curriculum" coming in you would think I could, but sadly no...

I have been told I need a CERT 3 to allow me to work in a child care centre...
Does anyone have any details about the CERT 3??
Are you able to work while studying??!! Plus how long does it take?? Is it a TAFE or UNI based qualification??

Thanks all!

L

JacksonBrowne

Post by JacksonBrowne » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:15 pm

I trained as a primary teacher many years ago, couldn't get full time work within cooee my home and made a side step into another related career ... fast forward and two kids later and Im returning to the work force. A Primary Teaching degree means squat in the preschool/child care sector. I did my Diploma partime at night with the idea of doing my Bachelor of Early Childhood (never did) now I work as a Diploma trained. From my experience in NSW (and I have rung every desk jockey there is, Docs just laugh!) there is no way you can be employed as a teacher in a child care centre/preschool with a K-6 degree, yet you can (go figure) be employed in a primary school with an early childhood degree! The take home message is, if you want to teach do the early childhood degree, you can teach in a preschool/child care centre AND in a primary school!

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 pm

And can I say, my 17 years of Primary teaching experience is helping me far more than the TAFE course I have to do!

lc_iles

Post by lc_iles » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 pm

aaaaah hindsight... sigh....

Mind you, hopefully some good advice for anyone about to start their studies!!!!!

L

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Yes hopefully I have. I answer many questions for many people every day - parents and staff.