Negotiating new contract Director

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Negotiating new contract Director

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:48 pm

I have been offered a new job however I feel I am in a position to negotiate my contract more so just wondered what pay/hols etc other people negotiate

Basically new job is matching my current hourly rate + giving the standard 4 weeks annual leave etc, however currently I am totally non-contact (though I choose to have contact time) whereas this job wants me to do 3hrs contact time/day.

They have no ECT on site so basically I'm their ECT/Director so doing 2 jobs. If I negotiate working school terms only then that's hard as still need a director non school terms but I feel I'd like more than 4 weeks off annually or some other incentives.

I'm confused. So what does everyone else have in their contracts as a Director?

Lorina

Re: Negotiating new contract Director

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:06 am

Since it's very similar to your current job, isn't it better to negotiate your wages with your current employers first and see if they can offer you more as they have seen you work and know how you are as a director? So, you're in a better position to negotiate. First negotiate with your current job and see what they have to offer then you can weigh it and see what your new job also has to offer.

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:43 am

My current job was a maternity leave contract. The old director is coming back now so there is no negotiating anything. My contracts up I have to leave :(

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:03 am

I think that now you have experience working as a director you can negotiate better pay and conditions for your new job. Maybe negotiate to job share the teaching as it's a bit much for them to expect you to do two jobs - I thought they had to have an ect on site anyway? If they say no to the job share idea, definitely ask for above award pay and between 6-8 weeks of paid leave as you are taking on two jobs which involves twice the workload and responsibilities. Maybe they're trying to cut costs by joining both these jobs together?
There's a director job being currently advertised where I live where they offer 8 weeks annual leave and it says above award pay.
Anyway that's just my opinion of what I would do in your situation. Good luck with it all :)

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 pm

First of all I hope everything goes well. Job hunting can be a pain especially finding the right centre for you. Even if your current job was only for maternity  leave, it's still very valuable since you gained experience and it also makes your resume and experience look good. That gives you a better position to negotiate wages. I do feel that it might be hard to negotiate for 8 weeks of annual leave when you are only doing 3 hours of teaching during the day. Ofcourse there is no harm in finding out you never know. It's not new for directors to be on the floor as well. My director takes over the ECT position when needed. It might be easier to negotiate for a better hourly rate than more annual leave. ymmv.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 pm

In my current job I also step on the floor as needed but if I am the ECT & Director then I'm doing 2 jobs even if I'm only on the floor 3hrs/day as those 3hrs are the core kindy teaching hours.
Anyway I've asked for clarification on what exactly she wants

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:00 am

negotiated an awesome deal :D
lol quite proud of myself

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:29 am

I guess a big congratulations are in order! :clap: Seems like you got yourself a great deal and a new job!! :mrgreen:

:geek:.
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:20 am

Thank you

I have managed to get myself 8 weeks annual leave a $2.7 pay rise from my current hourly rate and a further $1.4 raise on completion of my degree in July :thumbup:

Pretty happy with the deal especially 8 weeks off ... means I can actually go home once a year and still be able to have a holiday with hubby later YAY

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow that is an excellent offer. Getting 8 weeks annual leave as well as higher hourly wage is an awesome deal! I never knew centres can afford that much. Every time I request my director about a wage increase she always claims that the centre is having a hard time and is on a tight budget blah blah blah. Maybe I should get you to negotiate wages for me. Lol..

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Lol been hearing that a lot lately
I think it's about selling oneself to be honest
I'm darn good at what I do & I know how to get that across and when you know someone wants you it puts you in a bargaining position.
I don't feel I've asked for too much considering what I will be doing.
My ECT at current job clears only bit less than me but only works school terms!!!