Leaving childcare

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
TCPocketRocket

Leaving childcare

Post by TCPocketRocket » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:44 am

Hi there. I have been working in childcare the past 6 years have my diploma but am wanting to leave because the money just isn't in the industry. Does anyone have any suggestions what's can do other than childcare? I like to help people but not too sure what. Any ideas??

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: Leaving childcare

Post by cathiek » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Teachers assistant?? May not be too much better money wise though, I am not sure. Or go on to do your degree and teach maybe? You will still get to work with kids, and if that is your passion, I can certainly recommend teaching (HECS debt not so good though :()

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:10 am

Hi I completely understand. Child care is one of the lowest paying jobs you really have to love what you do. I love working in child care myself, but can't see myself staying in the industry long term because of the extremely low pay its just simply not worth it in the end. At the end of the day, we all have bills to pay, etc.

Do you like working with school age children? You can always do your teaching degree and work in a primary school. I worked in outside school hours care for a bit, it was alrite but only liked working with the prep to grade 3 kids. Maybe you could be a prep teacher if you like working with the younger kids and want more money. I think the teaching wages in primary schools start at about $50,000 or $55,000 a year?? I think teaching would be your best bet as you will get a year off your degree because you have your diploma.

Another way you could go is to do nursing if you like looking after people. I was thinking of doing this at one stage, but to make any good money in this profession, you have to do your degree as well and work as a registered nurse, which involves giving people needles, and most likely you will have to deal with people dying, especially if you work in a hospital. I know this because my mum in law is a nurse who works at the local hospital.

Honestly, I would stick with teaching if you love working with kids. It will be an easier degree for you to do as you have had so much experience already and you have your diploma so you won't have any problems with the assignments or the practical side of it.

Just think about it and let us know what you decide :)

TCPocketRocket

Post by TCPocketRocket » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:24 am

Thank you for all the feedback =) it is muchly appreciated. I was thinking maybe getting into children's welfare or something similar?

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi pocketrocket
It's sad that we are put in this position in our industry. I have my cert III at this moment, ( though just about to receive my Diploma) and earn $20.90 - with 10 years experience.
What is considered a good or decent wage in today's world? I am trying to find out the exact entry salary for a bachelor of teaching qualified position. I believe it would have to be $15000-$20000 increase per year for me to consider up skilling to this position.
Child welfare sounds great- but I can guarantee you will need to obtain a degree to be employed in the field.
Look forward to hearing what you decide to do. :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:58 am

Sorry to hear that you're leaving!

I'm attaching a list of other jobs that you can do with children other than childcare but like Dulciean mentioned you will probably need another qualification to enter into another field. Unless you do something like a children's party entertainer, children's retail or even be a nanny or au pair. An au pair is a live in nanny and you can even do this overseas... Anyways I don't know much about it.

[attachment=0]child-related_careers.pdf[/attachment]
I kinda get what you're saying regarding the whole money issue. Working in childcare is a low paying job and unfortunately you don't respected for it. But it's not about all that, its about loving what you do and if your hearts not in it then its time to move on.

I myself am taking a break from the childcare industry as I just started having my own family. At the moment I don't have the heart to physically work in childcare anymore. I just had my own baby and I want to spend my time with her rather than look after someone elses child. Who knows maybe down the line, I'll get back into it but just not for the next few years at least. Thankfully I got the site to keep me busy in the meantime (which is like a full time job itself)! :giggle:

Anyways, hopefully you can find something else that you're interested in,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rocky
Participator
Participator

Post by rocky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Very interesting! For me, I don't see myself anywhere apart from teaching children and enjoy being in their innocent world. But I will continue to study..and study ;) Many people give me the impression that childcare is degraded job, but I don't understand why??? I love it!!

L.A good on ya, stay home look after you little one, look after ur partner...instead of looking after others children. :)

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:04 pm

My dream job would be working at a childcare centre on a cruise ship!!