Job asks for degree, but job description states Level 4 rate

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
usherer

Job asks for degree, but job description states Level 4 rate

Post by usherer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33 am

I'm applying for a job as an ECT (I just completed an MA in Teaching). The job ad emphasises a degree-trained teacher is preferred, but the job description emphasises it is at CSE Level 4.

My classmates are getting Level 6 in other centres.

My questions are:
1. Is there a good reason why there is a difference between the rate and the preference for a degree-trained teacher? I'm wondering if they might actually offer Level 6 to me should I get hired.

2. I'm concerned that accepting the job will impact my wages forever. I'm not familiar with how hiring works. My impression is that after completing this 1-yr contract, other centres will enquire about my last salary, and offer the next level, 4.2. Meanwhile, my peers will be getting 6.2.

Hope to get some advice on how the industry works! :)

Lorina

Re: Job asks for degree, but job description states Level 4 rate

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 am

Ok, so a Level 4 is for a room leader position. This means that you are in charge of the room and that you will also have assistant educators assisting you in the room. They may be asking for a degree trained teacher as an ECT is required at a service for specific hours (depending on the service numbers). So, it sounds like you will be the ECT of the service working as a room leader.

No centre ever enquiries about past salary...Only experiences, responsibilities, duties etc. Anyway, the reason why your peers are getting 6.2 is because they are a higher job position at their centre. They may be working as a Director or an Assistant Director which is a higher position than a room leader. A director runs the whole centre where as the room leader runs the room.

You will only be offered the director position if the centre needs a Director...

Hope this clears up any confusion!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:42 am

Here is some further information on the Levels:

Levels For Childcare Wages

Hope this helps!

Lorina

usherer

Post by usherer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for the quick response!
You will only be offered the director position if the centre needs a Director...
Wow, this is something new. Coming from another industry, I'd assumed that 'Director' positions are only open to those with years of experience but it seems okay that fresh grads can do the job too! They both have a certain degree of experience with children - one is not in teaching, the other is in teaching somewhat. Both didn't have any certifications related to teaching, except the MA that we all did.

I'd also thought that 'Director' positions are limited. One is entering a centre where there are many old-timers, and as far as I know, she is the ECT in one room, and not responsible for the rest of the centre. Another is entering a new centre, so I can imagine that she has to take up more responsibilities BUT like the previous girl, she has also never mentioned she will be responsible for the entire centre.

I did refer to the very same link you'd sent, which is why I thought grads come in at Level 6.

So, putting all this together, it means that:
I can be hired for any level, depending on what the centre asks for. My background doesn't matter at all. It's the JD that matters.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Yes, Director positions are even available for educators with only a Diploma qualification as a degree isn't necessary for being a Director. Having experience definitely helps, more than being highly qualified for being a director it's really about the individual person that can handle the responsibility and you learn as you go.

As for the job description, it depends on your qualification as well. You can't be an ECT if you don't have a degree and you can't work as a Director without a minimum Diploma qualification...

Lorina