Full time work in child care

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
rosie.
Participator
Participator

Full time work in child care

Post by rosie. » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 am

Hi everyone,

I currently have a relief position at a great centre, my only issue is that I don't think I'm ever (or not for a long while anyway) going to be offered a more regular position... I recently worked out that only two staff members at my centre have full-time jobs, apart from the husband and wife who own it. One of the two is the ECT. The rest of the staff work from 1 to 4 days at the centre.
Is this what its like at all centres? I really need a full time job, or at least 4 days a week, to help my husband pay the mortgage, so just wondering what kind of position everyone else has got?!

Thanks, Rosie

Lorina

Re: Full time work in child care

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:54 am

Hi Rosie,

There are many circumstances that this particular centre is not offering any full time positions. Is it a small centre? How many days a week do you work there? Have you asked for a more permanent position? How long have you been working there? (sorry about all the questions).

Typically a centre will prefer to have full time workers so it is a surprise that the centre you work at only have 2 full time staff...However, like I mentioned there could be reasons such as if it is a small centre then on certain days no extra staff are needed.

You can find full time positions at a childcare centre. Just do a search on Google for full time childcare jobs and I'm sure you can find one you're after. There are plenty available out there...

:geek:,
L.A

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:04 am

Hi L.A,

Thanks for your reply! No it isn't a small centre, they have 6 rooms with enough children in each to need to two staff in each and keep ratios correct. That isn't small is it? But each room has about 4 staff each over the week, with like I said, only 2 staff who work their rooms all week.
I myself haven't been working there long, and the relief position really is relief, so when people are sick etc, not lunch relief every day or anything. I haven't asked for another position or anything because they really don't need me! Unfortunately there are no jobs advertised in my (small) city but I'll be handing out my resume as soon as my cert 3 paperwork comes through...

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:50 pm

I find it very disconcerting when jobs are given to people in rooms when they only work 2 days in a room. I don't find it consistent for the children when one room ends up with 3-4 different staff because no one works 5 days a week.
Personally I would like staff who are FT GL's in rooms to be 5 days a week or at least 4 days

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:34 am

I completely agree, it doesn't really promote continuity of care... especially with those children who attend 5 days a week.
I also feel a bit sorry for the staff - ok they choose to work there, and it suits some of them (older people or with young children), but for others it must be hard to only get a small amount of work each week. I know it is for me

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 am

I have always worked 5 days a week though I did opt to work 4 days a week though never did as found a new job and went back to 5 days a week

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:38 am

Fingers crossed I can find one too!

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:50 am

Just another question, from anyone's experience, is handing out resumes where jobs aren't advertised a good method in this industry?
Where I did my placement, the director mentioned that she rarely advertises, as she brings her students up to relief positions, then room positions so she doesn't need to retrain etc..

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 am

I always have printed out a heap of resumes and gone around and handed them in. A lot of places do not advertise as they manage to get people from resumes sent to them or people who know people looking for work etc

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:16 pm

In my experience, there is a dwindling number of positions for certificate III Childcare workers. At the centre I am currently employed at, I was taken on as a casual and as luck would have it was offered a permanent part time position (36.6 hours weekly) within a fortnight( on the proviso I complete my Diploma by the end of the year) I am now waiting for my permanent full time contract to be processed. Very soon the Diploma will be the minimum level centres are looking for to fill full time positions. Certificate III will be used to fill floating and part time positions.

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks dulciean, I'm hoping to start my diploma soon so hopefully that'll work to my advantage when looking for jobs. It sounds so tough trying to get into the workforce for the first time

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Once you are in and have experience it gets easier. I think centres would rather have staff with or studying Diplomas as soon everyone will need a qualification before they start working as they will be abolishing the whole "studying for" thing (good I say) ... sick of GLs "studying for" diplomas and who have been "studying for years and years and not qualifying!

jhoan

Post by jhoan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:11 am

Is there any person finding job in the field of child care. i need a full time care tacker for my child. Please help me out.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm

jhoan wrote:Is there any person finding job in the field of child care. i need a full time care tacker for my child. Please help me out.
It shows that you are in the UK
You may be better off contacting an agency in the UK as most people on here will be located in Australia