Difference between level 3 and 4 educator.

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
trish73
Participator
Participator

Difference between level 3 and 4 educator.

Post by trish73 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi, I am working as a casual and getting paid as a level three and I am currently studying Diploma of childcare. When I complete my Diploma, can I still work as a level three and have an increase in pay because I will be having a diploma level?

And does a level 4 childcare educator mainly just do paper work?
Because as a casual I just see the level 3 and casual mainly spending more time with the children while the level 4 educators are out in the programming room.
Between the level 3 and 4 educator is the work load stress much different?
Sometimes while working as working as a casual, I think writing programs and setting up different activities for children could make things a bit more interesting, because at times I get bored just supervising children.

Lorina

Re: Difference between level 3 and 4 educator.

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi, I am working as a casual and getting paid as a level three and I am currently studying Diploma of childcare. When I complete my Diploma, can I still work as a level three and have an increase in pay because I will be having a diploma level?

- When working it depends on your job position as well as your qualification. If you are currently on a Level 3 - this means that you are an assistant educator. When you complete your Diploma you will still be on Level 3 however it will be Level 3.4 - which is an assitant educator with a diploma qualification.

And does a level 4 childcare educator mainly just do paper work? Because as a casual I just see the level 3 and casual mainly spending more time with the children while the level 4 educators are out in the programming room.

- A Level 4 educator is the room leader and yes there is a lot of paperwork/documentation involved... programming, planning. observations, portfolios etc. Level 4 educators do get programming time off the floor per week so maybe that's why you are always seeing them doing paperwork as you're covering them.

Between the level 3 and 4 educator is the work load stress much different?

- Yes, a level 4 educator has to run the room, plan and document but this is usually also shared with the level 3 where you both work together in the room. So, it depends on the individual educator. Some Level 4 educators do everything themselves and prefer assistants to supervise the children but others work together and share the workload which decreases stress etc.

Sometimes while working as working as a casual, I think writing programs and setting up different activities for children could make things a bit more interesting, because at times I get bored just supervising children.

- Yes I agree! But as a casual, you, unfortunately, don't get that responsibility. A casual educator is mainly to supervise children. For writing programs etc you need to know the individual children as well as the happenings in the room, the goals needed to be achieved etc. So, there is a lot of planning in writing a program. As for setting up activities, maybe you can ask the educators if you can help out but as I said casuals only really supervise.

Hope this helps answer your questions!

:geek:,
Lorina