Change of Careers From High School Teacher To Early Childhood

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
carmen84

Change of Careers From High School Teacher To Early Childhood

Post by carmen84 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi,
I've been a high school teacher, going on 9 years in a casual/temp capacity. I am ready for a change and know there is plenty of work in children services.
I have taught kinder through to year 12 and enjoy the younger kids so looking at my options. Being 32 I don't want to do a traineeship, so I want to know what would be the best option for someone my age who wants to work asap?~
Also what are the best online courses?

Lorina

Re: Change of Careers From High School Teacher To Early Childhood

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:42 pm

To work in childcare, as of now you need to have a minimum cert 3 qualification. You can look at doing the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care. This also includes the Cert 3 units and once you have completed the Cert 3 units at the beginning of the course, you can begin working in childcare as you are actively "working towards" your qualification. Since you have been a teacher you may be able to do "Recognition Of Prior Learning" for some of the modules since you already have the experience. Here is some more info on RPL:

Gaining RPL In Childcare

In regards to the best online course, it's hard to say... I would recommend TAFE but there are so many course providers available it's really hard to determine which one is the "best". Many students have had various experiences with all of them...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

lollipop21212

Re: Change of Careers From High School Teacher To Early Childhood

Post by lollipop21212 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi Carmen

Just wondering how you got on? I am looking to change now from high school to early years. I see there is a bridging course (Diploma) but it specifies that you must have a Primary teaching qualification. I know I could do the non bridging Diploma which is very similar but soo much more expensive and doesn't take account of previous teaching experience.