Stereotypes in Childcare

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
janAiken
Participator
Participator

Stereotypes in Childcare

Post by janAiken » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:05 am

Hi im currently doing my cert III,i really appriciate it, if you could help me regarding to this questions:

Read through the following stereotypes and determine how they may impact on individual teaching styles or expectations.

1.Block area is for boys.

2.Only girls need to tidy up.

3.Ladies before gentlemen.

Lorina

Re: help assgment

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:28 am

Hey JanAiken,

When working in childcare there are often times when stereotypes are used... whether it's staff talking to each other amongst themselves or parents talking to staff about what there child has been up to during the day. On more than one occasion parents seem to stereotype their child's play. For e.g. sometimes when I tell a parent their daughter enjoyed building in block corner their response is "she is such a boy" or if I tell parents their son enjoyed playing with the dolls "oh no don't tell me that he needs to play footy like his dad". Although we have a bit of a laugh about it, it is actually stereotyping and the worst thing of all most of the time we don't even realize we are doing it! As long as you are aware of what you say and how you approach this with the children, you will begin to realize and hear alot of stereotypes being used around you...

1.Block area is for boys. 2.Only girls need to tidy up. 3. Ladies before gentlemen.

The above stereotypes I think mainly focus on gender stereotyping. Which basically means "what girls are expected to do" and "what boys are expected to do". Think about how this may impact on teaching or expectations, such as:

- Only providing opportunities for boys to play in block area.

- Having no expectations of girls being able to construct with the blocks.

- Asking girls only to tidy up in the classroom.

- Making the girls line up in front of the boys.

I'm also attaching two documents that may provide you with some further information for your response:

[attachment=0]Gender_stereotypes.pdf[/attachment]
[attachment=1]block_play_for_girls.pdf[/attachment]
Also would you be able to provide me with the module number so I can edit your topic heading. Next time, can I kindly suggest:

a) that you post the module number and assignment question in the topic heading when creating a new topic for help with assignments.

b) when asking a question, can you also give us your understanding of the question and your answer so far and we can have a look and help you further.

Plz refer to our forum rules for more.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

janAiken
Participator
Participator

Post by janAiken » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:59 pm

thanks you so much...i will post my answer soon and i did post another question a while ago and forgot to add my answer and i didnt realized that your not allowed to edit your own post here.

thanks againxxx

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey JanAiken,

No worries... :thumbup:

i didnt realized that your not allowed to edit your own post here.

We just disabled the feature. The reason why we disabled it is because if you edit your post it won't come up in the top 10 most recent discussions. So, instead of editing you could just re-post and add your other question or response as necessary to that topic. that way your topic remains active..

Also, let us know the module number as well..

Cheers :geek:,
L.A