Process To Follow For Children With Additional Needs

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
falakmotha

Process To Follow For Children With Additional Needs

Post by falakmotha » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:56 pm

i am stuck at this question.

children must be supervised by ensuring all are in sight or hearing distance at all times.

a) what are the ratio for supervising children in an early education and care setting?

b) what would be the process you would follow if you find that you have children with additional needs in your care (i.e skills,age mix,dynamics, and size of the group of children and level of risk involved in activities)?

c) how would you ensure adequate suopervision at all times?

raju

Re: children health and safety

Post by raju » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 am

hi I think,
a) According to NQS staff to child ratio in WA is 1:4 for birth to 24 months and 1:5 for kids 25 to 35 months and 1:10 for children 36 months to school age.

c) There are four principles for supervision of kids they are
-knowing:we should always be aware of how many children we are supervising, activities they are doing, equipments they are using.
-listening:the unusual sounds like crying, silence. Sounds that can tell what is happening.
-scanning:always watching kids activities and should always looking around.
-positioning:should always be positioned for best possible view of the children.

for b) I'm also stuck with that.

cccool88

Post by cccool88 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:35 pm

did you end up getting an answer for B? im stuck :(

sarubini
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sarubini » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:28 pm

) If there was a child in my care with additional needs i would need to show a genuine desire and ability to work with the child, childs family and other associated professionals and support services.

A good place to start would be holding a meeting with the above mentioned and also the Director of my Centre before the child commenced care. This would allow me to discuss such topics as: what the child's main needs are and how these affect their daily lives and experiences, any strategies that the parents may use at home and may be useful at childcare (i.e. behavior guidance), strengths, interests, routines in place, whether any changes to the physical environment are needed (ramps, etc.).
Having this background information on the child will enable strategies to be developed allowing the child to feel included in daily life at the center. For example, new activities may need to be created that will meet the skill level of the child, an additional educator may be needed in the room if the child is high needs

THIS WAS MY ANSWER BUT IT CAME AS UNSATISFACTORY.
THEY ASKED ME ABOUT THINK OF DISCUSSUSSING WITH MY SUPERVISOR FOR ADDITIONAL STAFF.

PLZ HELP ME TO ANSWER.

Lorina

Re: Process To Follow For Children With Additional Needs

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:13 pm

You may also need to get some external support from Inclusion Support that could support you to care for the child with additional needs:

Inclusion and Professional Support

:geek:,
Lorina

Cccaaa

Re: Process To Follow For Children With Additional Needs

Post by Cccaaa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:43 pm

I found some information to question b (relating to supervision and additional staff) in element 2.2.1