Help Needed with Infant/Toddler Interactions

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
astroboy9679

Help Needed with Infant/Toddler Interactions

Post by astroboy9679 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi There, can anyone help with some suggestions for this assignment. I have not had the opportunity to be in the Infants/Toddlers room much. Thanks Mark.

ENVIRONMENTS FOR INFANTS AND TODDLERS MUST BE RESPONSIVE TO BOTH THEIR PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL NEEDS.
FOR THIS TASK YOU ARE REQUIRED TO OBSERVE ROUTINES IN THE NURSERY AND RECORD EXAMPLES OF RESPONSIVE INTERACTIONS. THIS TASK WILL NEED TO BE CARRIED OUT OVER SEVERAL WEEKS.

Routine: Arrival
Interactions

Routine: Bottle Feeding
Interactions

Routine: Nappy Change
Interactions

Routine: Sleep
Interactions

Routine: Toileting
Interactions

Routine: Meals
Interactions

Routine: Departure
Interactions

Lorina

Re: Help Needed with Infant/Toddler Interactions

Post by Lorina » Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Hey Mark,

How’s it going? Still busy with your assignment… I thought you were almost finished with your certificate 3? :lol:

For this assignment you just got to try and think of what you will do in each of the different routines. Even though you may not have worked with this particular age group try to imagine how you would handle each situation. If you work with older children think about how you would normally interact with them in each of the routines and then just change it or add to it to make it appropriate for the age group required.
I’ll give you some examples so you get an idea:

Arrival –Interactions

1) Get down to child’s level and welcome them. Hold their hand and encourage them to say “goodbye” to parents. When the parent leaves guide them to an activity to engage in until all children arrive.
2) When the parent and child arrive, guide them both to an activity that has been set up. Once the child begins the activity, encourage child to say “goodbye” to their parent. Sit and interact with the child.

Bottle Feeding – Interactions

1) Hold baby in your arms while feeding.
2) Sit quietly near baby while drinking their bottle.
3) Talk softly to baby while drinking their bottle.

Nappy Changing – Interactions

1) Sing nursery rhymes.
2) Name parts of the body.

Sleep – Interactions

1) Sit quietly besides baby/toddler until they fall asleep.
2) Sing softly and quietly.
3) Gently stoke their hair.
4) Pat them to sleep.

Toileting – Interactions

1) Provide plenty of praise “You did it, I am so proud of you”.
2) Provide lots of encouragement “Let’s wait a little longer to see if wee wee will come”.

Meals – Interactions

1) Sit at the table with children and eat with them.
2) Encourage them to try what’s provided to them.
3) Talk about the vegetables, healthy eating “Carrots they make your eyes see better”.

Departure – Interactions

1) Get down to child’s level and say “I really enjoyed playing with you today, thanks for the great day, I’ll see you soon”.
2) Waving goodbye.

This should give you a head start… Please share if you think of anything else for this assignment.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A