Certificate 3 - Parent Concerned Over Daughter Sleeping

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
astroboy9679

Certificate 3 - Parent Concerned Over Daughter Sleeping

Post by astroboy9679 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi All I have been trying to think of ways around this scenario in relation to answering the bulleted point questions can anyone shed any ideas. I am still studying Cert III and have not come across this situation at all yet. Any Ideas appreciated.

SCENARIO 1
Sue is the mother of Jasmine, a very active two and a half year old, who attends care three days a week in a centre-based service. Jasmine is usually one of the first children in her group to go off to sleep and one of the last to wake. Sue has approached you as the Child’s carer, saying that on the days she attends your service, she is unable to get Jasmine off to sleep at home until after 9pm. Sue wants you to keep Jasmine awake in the afternoon so she’ll get to bed earlier at night.

You need to reach agreement on this issue with the parent.
 How would you explain the importance/relevance of how and why your program is structured to meet the needs of children of this age group?
 How would you explain any difficulties which may be encountered in attempting to meet the parent’s request?
 What alternatives/compromises could you discuss with the parent?
 How would you negotiate and modify your care practices in relation to the parent’s request?
 How would the final decision be communicated and to whom? What follow-up/review would occur?

Lorina

Re: Certificate 3 - Parent Concerned Over Daughter Sleeping

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Hey Mark,

Hope you’re having a good weekend… the weekend is almost over :cry:. I thought I’d shed some light on what you should do regarding the questions you have asked. Through my experience this is fairly common in regards to parents not wanting their child to sleep at the centre but practically speaking it isn’t possible especially for a toddler.

How would you explain the importance/relevance of how and why your program is structured to meet the needs of children of this age group?

As part of the Centre policy and Childcare Regulations each child will have an established sleep/rest time pattern and will be offered a sleep or quiet rest in accordance with their individual needs after their lunch time. It is important to note that in a childcare setting we may not be able to implement some routines or practices that are used at home (such as keeping a toddler awake throughout the afternoon) as they are not practical in a childcare setting. It is important to understand that effective sleep and rest routines are essential in ensuring the development, growth, social and emotional well-being of each child within the childcare setting.

How would you explain any difficulties which may be encountered in attempting to meet the parent’s request?

Since Jasmine is one of the first in her group to go off to sleep it is necessary that as a toddler she will need to continue with the sleep routine which is currently being implemented within the centre. If we were to keep her awake she is more likely to fall asleep at a later time and wake up even later than usual. It is also a part of the Centre policy that all children will be required to rest on their beds for a minimum amount of time before beginning quiet activities and due to this Jasmine will fall asleep anyway. So practically speaking, it will be difficult in keeping Jasmine awake throughout the sleep/rest time period.

What alternatives/compromises could you discuss with the parent?

A compromise that the child’s carer could suggest is to wake Jasmine up after a period of time to ensure that she isn’t one of the last ones to wake up. This should also help in getting Jasmine to sleep earlier at home. It also enables Jasmine to get her much needed sleep that she requires while being in childcare.

How would you negotiate and modify your care practices in relation to the parent’s request?

After a child has slept for a period of 45 minutes if a parent requests that they would like their child to be woken the following form needs to be completed and signed .Plan is formulated and waking up form is completed and signed by parent.

The following methods for waking a child will be followed:
1. uncover the child and call name softly;
2. sit alongside the child and call name while gently rubbing the child;
3. if the child doesn’t respond repeat 1 & 2 every 5 minutes until the child wakes;
4. if after 15 minutes the child has not woken lift the child onto your lap and speak gently to the child.

The child will not be shaken or stood up only the above waking method will take place.

How would the final decision be communicated and to whom? What follow-up/review would occur?

The final decision should be communicated to the parent, director/authorized supervisor and Jasmine’s carer’s and this should also be placed in writing. After a couple of weeks a review should take place to see if waking Jasmine up earlier helps with her sleep routine at home.

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding on what you should do if you are faced with this situation.

Have a great day at work tomorrow,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

astroboy9679

Re: Certificate 3 - Parent Concerned Over Daughter Sleeping

Post by astroboy9679 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks LA I appreciate all the help. Not to much more to go. The next one will probably be harder. I am going to post it as well and see what people think. I really appreciate the support. MARK. Hope you have a good week as well.