Increase a child's concentration and thinking skills by finding words within a word.
- Pencil and paper for each child playing the game.
What to do:
- Find a long word and give all players a pencil & paper.
- The players must try to make as many words as possible from the letters in the long word.
- The player who makes the most words is the winner.
- Rules: All words must contact at least 3 letters – A letter may only be used more than once in a word if it is contained in the main word more than once – It’s a good idea to set a time limit (10 minutes).
Example: So, from the word CATASTROPHE you could make words such as, TASTE, TROT, STAR, STRAP, TASTER, TOAST, PEST, HAT and lots more!
Hints and Tips:
- To make it easier, set a no. of words that the child has to find in the long word. For example, in the word HIPPOPOTAMUS, the child has to find 6 words.
- To make it more challenging, the beginning letter of the word cannot be repeated more than once.
- If playing with a large group of children, split into two teams. Give each team the same long word. Both teams have to find the most amount of words to win.