Wage for OSHC Assistant Casual

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
purple86

Wage for OSHC Assistant Casual

Post by purple86 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi :) I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post about the wage.. I would like to know does anyone know what is the wage for OSHC assistant casual? I have a Cert III completed this year in September and I got a job interview in Jan, I'm really looking forward to it! starting my career in child care and I love working with children :D
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: new topic has been created

Lorina

Re: Wage for OSHC Assistant Casual

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:55 am

purple86 wrote:Hi :) I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post about the wage.. I would like to know does anyone know what is the wage for OSHC assistant casual? I have a Cert III completed this year in September and I got a job interview in Jan, I'm really looking forward to it! starting my career in child care and I love working with children :D

It's really hard to say how much you would be expected to pay. When working in OOSH it depends on the centre, whether they will pay you above award wage, incentives such as laundry allowance, split shift allowance etc and since you will be working as a casual that would also effect your pay. Maybe it's a good idea to check out the modern award wage to see what the minimum is.

:geek:,
L.A

purple86

Post by purple86 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi L.A,

oh I thought so that all centres and at primary schools may be different depending on their award wage, I just thought so I can get an idea what the pay wage may be as an outside school hours care assistant in primary school before and after school care that I applied for.. :) but when I applied for that position, it says competitive hourly rate - does that means its a good pay?

if anyone on here that works for them or had worked for them would be great to know what are the wage and to know what it's like to work with primary kids at outside school hours care :D I also find that it works out well for my life/work balance also to gain more experience in working with children, so I thought this would be a great start for me but I am unsure about the pay wage they get as an assistant.

I guess I will have to find out when i go to the session and interview :D I'm gonna be kind of nervous but also exciting at the same time!

Thanks for the reply L.A :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Again,

When I finished my certificate 3 I was working at a before and after school care, that was about 5 years ago now. My position was 2IC and I think my pay rate was something between $18 - $20 an hour. Can't remember off the top of my head. I also got laundry allowance, split shift allowance etc... so yeah it was pretty convenient.

If the position you are applying for says "competitive hourly rate" well then I assume that means it pays more the minimum. Maybe you can expect between $12 - $15 per hour, maybe more or less... Like I said previously it really depends...

Ok so my experience in before and after school care was enjoyable. The school where it was situated was actually right across the road from me so it was fairly easy to get to and from work. I remember working in the mornings and the afternoons. In the mornings, I remember arriving at about 7:00 am and leaving about 9:00 am I would set up activities, get breakfast ready etc. The mornings are pretty laid back... In the afternoons I started about 2:00 pm to about 6:30 pm. During this time we had to get afternoon tea ready which meant anything from sandwiches to cooking pasta, making salads etc. We also had to check the programs set up activities(more than the mornings), assign which staff goes where, organize whose doing what etc. The afternoons are much busier than the mornings.

Working with older children is great... they are more like friends and when you talk they listen! Most of the time. You will find if there are children with challenging behavior it can be a little harder to manage and sometimes the boys can be challenging. However, once you get to know them and they get to know you it's alot easier!

Hopefully this gives you an idea on what's it like working in an OOSH.

Best of Luck with the Interview.

:geek:,
L.A